Chromatic aberration in reflections with distort

How would you go about creating chromatic aberration in reflections? I use crok_distort to create the watery effect on a reflective surface but would like to add some creative color refractions…

My current workflow:
Separate to RGB
Use same crok_distort with rotation value 0.1, 0.11, 0.12 for RGB respectively
Combine

Unfortunately, parameters in this matchbox can not be linked with expressions for interactivity…

Thanks

How about using an STMap through you cook_distort and then use the result to UV distort the separated RGB?

It may not be useful in this case, but Action will do dispersion (chromatic aberration in refractions) through 3d objects now.

1 Like

I missed this. How is this done, Aaandy?

Add geo to the action scene and set the transparency in the material node to 100%. Then change the IOR to something other than 1. Then increase the “dispersion” amount.

it will only refract the back image, not any other objects/images in the scene, so precomp as necessary.

you’ll also want to turn “sort all” on in the geo node.

2 Likes

nice one - cant wait to give this a go

Awesomeness- thanks.

1 Like

andy_dill, could the geo’s Sort setting instead be Sort Transparent? I seem to recall that from watching the Refraction videos and it stands out in memory as I’d never used that option before.
[/quote]

Yeah. I’m not all that clear on the cost benefit of “sort transparency” and “sort all” so I just chose the more comprehensive one. I feel like that’s a legacy setting from when GPUs had a harder time rendering geometry.

I usually always fall back on either using the blur node like this or for tricky phones, separate rgb and use pixel spread on the channels.