Flame for longform - awful performance

thank you

When i enter debug mode should a new terminal pop up?

When youā€™re in debug and press play youā€™ll see a load of new information on the gui while itā€™s playing. Really sorry to hear youā€™re having this issue Ben, it makes for the review to be a horrible place. Can I ask what your source media is and is it aces?

Thanks Rob
I cant seem to see anything new on the GUI at all. Debug is on in the bottom corner but nothing else appears.

The source is pretty much anything to be honest. At the moment i have 12bit DPX files

edit: video debug doesnt appear but normal debug does.

1 Like

Thatā€™s good youā€™ve got the debug up while playing. Youā€™ll probably see more dropped frames than usual now as the eye misses some of them that the debug will pick up.
Do you still have bad playback even if you cache it?

Well the whole point of us getting this server was that we didnt need to cache anymore. We are also working from a project server so we should need any local cache.

Thats the next thing to try is go back to caching local.

So far i have 18 drop frames but dont know the reason why! What info can i gauge from the debug?

Hows your playback?

Mine is perfect, butā€¦and this is a big but, Iā€™m the only one in the company whoā€™s getting it.
I honestly believe something was broken in 2022 and still hasnā€™t been fixed in 2023.

2 Likes

Are you on 2021 again?

Iā€™m not sure what shift-v-insert does, but shift-d-insert will enter a debug mode which brings up an overlay on top of the viewer. It should look like this.

I donā€™t know a ton about it, but it should be able to tell you whether the storage or the gfx card is the bottle neck.

If I were you I would try to get away from dpx sequences whenever possible. A single dpx of UHD black and white noise is 48m. A single dwaa exr of the same is 9.3m. If disk I/O is your issue reducing your throughput by 5x might be a good place to start. Admittedly there is more to the equation such as unpacking compressed formats and such that Iā€™m not qualified to comment on, but I do know that dpx unequivocally suck.

1 Like

Yup exactlyā€¦ although I would use PIZ as it is lossless. DWAA while great, is still lossy even if it is hard to tell.

1 Like

I love DWAA but I keep it for commercials. The QC department will catch any change to an un touched part of the plate no matter how small.

Yep, just 2021 with no other builds on the system.
The debug will show you if itā€™s the gfx card or the video card causing the issue. I believe the video card is driven by the gfx card anyway so if itā€™s the gfx card drops then so will the video.
As for exr and dpx, Iā€™d personally use piz exr because itā€™s lossless but Iā€™ll use dpx because I donā€™t get perfect playback with compressed exr unless I cache it, which by definition then isnā€™t piz exr :joy:

1 Like

If you choose that as your project format, it sure would be. In 2021 the nomenclature is stupid and it is the 2nd choice in the pull down, even though it says Uncompressed.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

This is happening on all kinds of media from ProRes to EXR to DPX.

Space isnt the issue, we are supposed to be on a server fast enough for flame to able to play things back without the need to cache locally. Its not proving very successful as we get frequent drop outs on average every 10-20 minutes

100% agree. Was just thinking about playback issues. Not that Iā€™m saying DWAA EXRs are the best for playback either, more just an example of how bloated dpxā€™s are.

Presumably you could find the best format for watching things down while youā€™re working and then do a final master render to a lossless format for delivery.

1 Like

Given that its happening on all sorts of media, I would agree its likely not related to server speeds.

Just switched to 2023 yesterday and Iā€™ve already got all sorts of GUI glitching so Iā€™m fully ready to entertain the idea that there is plenty of stuff in 2023 that is broken.

Iā€™ve had this problem from Nas, San and local ssd raids, also donā€™t think its disk speed related. Been working at 50p recently using piz exr and the dropped frames are still at the same frequency as 25p projects, around 10-15 mins into review. Also get the audio only freeze, sometimes have to kill the app which isnā€™t great when attended.

What version of flame are you on @Jason_Chambers

On a threadripper 5970 running 2023.3

Does seem 2022 and 2023 have the issues no matter what setup you have.

Does anybody actually get good playback for longform on any version after 2021?

1 Like