Is LTO still the best option for archiving?

that’s super weird I have about 30 tb active and haven’t had any issues

500/500 to wasabi.

dropbox is weird in that it only function at slower speeds, even if you have a gb upload and download I think the max I was getting was something like 50mb upload so it certainly isn’t the fastest but like I said I just set them off overnight and you can always manage the uploads better than say wasabi, pause it or prioritize syncs which I like if I am trying to send a client a link or something I can get that file out then resume, so I don’t see 40 as an issue its just time but like I said its not the quickest but its mindless and I got tired of monkeying with drives, connecting them storing them blah blah blah.

lucky you! i think it was mainly due to traffic
I meab I also waa doing like 120T of backups.

How do you keep stuff so small? I have like 3-4tb archives (compressed) from most jobs. Wether flame or not… well I also do keep all the rushes haha so maybe I should just stop doing that hehe

1 Like

yea typically at the end of a job I go through and create a finals archive that trims all the crap out I don’t need this reduces the archive sizes considerably

2 Likes

i am a data hoarder

1 Like

It’s not your credit card is it? :slight_smile:

well thats what I tell my wife

1 Like

Sounds like a new Netflix Doc data hoarders

this is so brilliant I just cant wait for the follow up doc can you find the cable that goes with that hard drive

2 Likes

Yeah they broke that the last version only went back one version. I have a huge nas I just keep adding to and one day it will all die but probably after me so I don’t care:)

2 Likes

Looks like Dropbox is no longer unlimited:

Dropbox drops unlimited storage, blames crypto miners and resellers for the change | TechCrunch.

-Ted

Predictable. Trying to play the averages was always fraught with danger. In an age where metering is trivial, just go to pay-as-you-go.

We use Dropbox. This change is uncool. We kinda leaned on the fact we could leave archives in the cloud.

They just announced all these AI tools yesterday. “Our AI can find the file you need and write a summary from it!” Sounds like the c-suite got fired and the new c-suite has a new mission.

It probably wasn’t crypto but flame archives from me

3 Likes

Indeed. The crypto mention was weird in the story. However, if they had many users actually treating it as unlimited storage with 100s of TB, that probably was more than their statistical model predicted and threw off the margin calculations. At the end all that storage does cost them money, and if the averages are off, they’re in the red. Too often the product managers modeling these pricing tiers think of photographers and not post houses, and even in their wildest imagination they can probably not grasp that uploading 50TB isn’t really that crazy.

You never want to be the statistical outlier and be at the mercy of others at the same time.

also everyone and their grandma was account sharing.

Drobox1@company.com

used by like 20 users - seen this time and time again.