9x16 framing and other non-standard deliverables

Very simple. Just make a 1080x1920 sequence. Select aspect for w:h Edit your
16:9 sequence into the 9:16 sequence you
Just created. This will put a resize fx on all
The shots in that sequence. From there you
Can resize them to your liking. Use scale in
Your Resize to adjust. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

The issue about this whole thread was mostly covered by DanM. You can go through the hoops of creating everything from a purist viewpoint ( I did this for a long time because editors didn’t care once the edit was over and I nit-picked everything). However, these social media exports/uploads are only viewed on an ipad at most, usually a phone, so no one notices a softening, if any. The only issue I’ve faced was sometimes the graphics are a little edgy, so in that case I’ll bring that section into batch and filter it to an anti-aliasing or what Randy pointed out EWA/Linear/etc selection. I’ve been creating this type of media for 3/4 + years and I literally create a 16x9 timeline and apply any repos as gap effects for resizes. I usually make the editors supply me with refs so I can match, but 50% of the time it’s “my judgement.” Then I resize on the desktop to whatever format they need. Export native (usually as ProrRes 422 HQ) and manipulate to the desired resolution/framerate via Adobe Media Encoder (Most underrated tool for deliverables in my opinion). Long exhale…sorry guys.

3 Likes

i’m kind of lucky in that i’m also the editor so can be doing all this directly without having to refer back to other peoples projects and timelines etc.

1 Like

Lucky!

Yup, this is what i do as well…surprisingly quick and easy…but still a PITA.

1 Like

Yeah, Most editor applications like Premier and
Resolve now handle this with ease and center
and frame the subject for Social media deliveries automagically, but of course it’s always not perfect for the client and positioning is always tweaked. Also if it’s done in one application and Finished in another the translation for posititioning doesn’t always come across via the AAF. It would be nice if
Flame could analyze and repo for Social media
Deliveries, it would at least get you half way.
I was thinking that it would be neat if it could analyze your offline and online via difference matte and could adjust positioning and scale
Up based on that information to get you a perfect match. Also eventually in the future, I believe AI will be able to Overcut your media for you by analyzing all your source media and reference offline in a click of a button. Look Mom no Overcutting! :grimacing:

1 Like

At least gets you more than halfway there. Also
Da Vinci’s reframing has the key frames to adjust. So if you need to match perfectly to a reference there already there to adjust.

yes we need a sensor like that, I agree!

Reminds me of the hours I spent on the game boy to complete Tetris.

I know this post is from Oct 2020, but curious if everything in here holds true still for everyone?
I just finished a huge commercial campaign earlier this year and had a ton of social deliverables.
Here’s some sites collectively clients gave us to follow.
Do you guys have any other sites that have specs that you guys have followed?
Any other Rez/formats/sites specs you guys have used and want to add to the list?

Instagram:
(9x16) 1080x1920
(1x1) 1080x1080

Snapchat:
(9x16) 1080x1920
https://businesshelp.snapchat.com/s/article/top-snap-specs?language=en_US

Facebook:
(16x9) 1920x1080
(9x16) 1080x1920

1 Like

1080*1350 - 4x5: no idea what it’s for but it gets asked for

1 Like

Looks like maybe for Instagram Portraits size

2 Likes

I had a rather obscure one that I had NEVER seen before while I was on my most recent job.

2:3!

After some digging we concluded that it was for Mobile In-App Interstitials, so I guess those ads that interrupt you if you’re playing a free game on your phone.

The resolution they were asking for was 320x480 but I drew the line there, it just felt so wrong to master something that tiny. I ended up just going with the nearest 1080 resolution which ended up being 720x1080-- a nice round number that made me feel better-- and we just resized it down to what they wanted for the delivery. The 1080 height made it play nicely with the other timelines (1080x1080 and 1920x1080) and it all worked out.

This was the client provided specs when we asked about it:

And this is what I found when I tried to go a little closer to the source:

https://support.google.com/admanager/answer/10320506?hl=en

1 Like

This is for instagram feed videos. To show in the feed, instead of as stories.

1 Like

I think I had once had to create a 2:3 video for Pinterest…

1 Like