'bad timecode'

Hi All, can anyone share a suggestion or two of things to try when your edl/xml reports ‘bad timecode’ …Thaaanks!

I’ve done a handful of things in this situation. A lot of the time it has to do with certain editing programs not being able to handle differing framerates or timewarps properly. If it’s an edl I’ve had success opening it up in a text editor and looking through to try to find the shot with the errant timecode and just adjusting the values to fix it manually. I think what you’d be looking for is whether each shot’s In / Out / Duration are correct relative to each other.

Another approach would be to consider opening up the xml / edl in another program like Premiere or Resolve and first just try blindly re-export an edl/xml/aaf from in there and see if that works. If that doesn’t work try inspecting the timecode of the sequence in question and try to figure out where the error takes place. Sometimes deleting the an errant clip works, sometimes trying to fix it somehow by removing the timewarp if that’s relevant works.

This is what I’ve done in the past to get to potential success.

2 Likes

Ace! thanks Jeff
I washed it through Premiere and we’re good
Pleased I didn’t have to examine TC for a 3 min film - maybe for a nice little 6s edit😆

2 Likes