DasGrain - via Silhouette (Flame Setup)

Following up on today’s Logik Live and the Zoom call, here is the Flame setup of regrain with the OFX nodes to make it more concrete example in Flame instead of the Si Standalone demo.

Using one OFX/Si node to denoise. For good performance, must render the denoise (as we always do). Standard Action Comp. Leading into second OFX/Si node to regrain. Attention has to go into which inputs go with that in the Si node. The OFX node isn’t labeled. I used Input 1: comp (with matte), Input 2: Denoised Plate, Input 3: Original Plate. Also make sure to set the OFX node to Si Comp output.

Very basic denoise setup for the first OFX/Si node

The Regrain node, making sure that right inputs are routed. Hovering over the three green inputs reveals what they need. Make sure to run analyze, and tweak any options.

As Marco indicated on the Zoom call, right now Si doesn’t have an output for the adapted grain on it’s own, so you have to let Si do the comp. But in an upcoming release they might add that option that instead of doing the comp, Si could just give you the grain to comp in Flame.

It will prompt you for a path where to store the Si project files for both nodes. But you don’t have to render inside Si. This works similar to Mocha output modules.

11 Likes

On the Zoom call we had a discussion on Neat vs. Denoise. Either works equally well for the most part.

The tradeoff seems mostly speed and how many clicks, and how well versed you are with creating Neat profiles and having licenses.

If you just have Si license, Denoise is the obvious choice. If you have both and you work in a larger Si comp in the Si interface, Denoise is the one node quick solve.

But in the above setup and with both licenses Neat has the advantage. While they both are OFX plugins you need to setup and configure, Denoise also needs a file path to save the project. Neat is self contained.

9 Likes

Thanks for doing this, Jan!

2 Likes

It`s as close to perfect as possible. Apply and forget with almost no turning.

1 Like

BorisFX worked directly with the developer of Das Grain (Fabian Holtz) which has become the industry standard on Nuke. So the code uses the same logic, but has been adapted for a few aspects of Silhouette being different than Nuke (no Blinkscript, etc.).

The grain is derived from the original plate, and Das Grain has been widely accepted as the best solution for quite some time.

As I understand quite a few folks on Flame had been using Nuke for regraining for that specific reason. So now you can skip the trip to Nuke for lower cost of a Silhouette license.

4 Likes

Hi could I get the link of the video that shows how to use silhouette regrain tool in flame?

Thanks in advance

It was the Logik Live on BorisFx updates: https://www.youtube.com/live/rweTBBmYRIk?si=PftKHnDL5ISexaR0

1 Like

Thanks @allklier

I’ll take a look at this