EXR "Data window" nuke discrepancy in resolution

Ah, sorry I forgot it was you @cnoellert! I tried to find the thread but to no avail. @milanesa all credit goes to this ingenious man.

1 Like

Logik Academy? HOW NICE OF YOU.

1 Like

Does this work in 2021. I already tried this and couldnā€™t get a 1 to 1 match. Even if I scale the diffuse. Not sure what Iā€™m doin wrong. The checker is my result, which is not right. Any hints on what Iā€™m missing.

Itā€™s working, I suspect you donā€™t have the original backplate res set in the action node for output. If you plug-in your original undistrorted plate into the redistort action node and set that actionā€™s output res to ā€œmatch backā€ or whatever itā€™s called everything will work. You shouldnā€™t be scaling anything.

@miles Here is what I did with your maps. Probably some things I did are unnecessary,ā€¦ still learning Flame.

distort_overscan.zip (971.8 KB)

thanks @milanesa unfortunately I canā€™t open that batch, but I do appreciate it. the problem definitely lies with those values outside 0-1. If I use my shader to undistorted then run it through action I get a one to one match. the first action isnā€™t undistorting my image out to the boundaries. Iā€™m doin something wrong. Thanks again though. Iā€™m going to figure out what action is doing with those values and report back.

@miles No sure if it has to do with the fact that you straps are anamorphic, but I had to set the UV map texture formatting to ā€œFillā€ in the undistortion stepā€¦

Big chance I donā€™t know what Im talking about.

@milanesa That was the trick Thanks ! Sorry I did get a bit sidetracked. are the data windows and the nuke bounding boxes the same for the undistorted st map for you. thanks again !

Yes they are, but donā€™t look in the Nuke viewer, is deceivingā€¦ with the whole empty black canvas and the anamorphic nature of the format. Just look at the metadata.

Looks like what action is doing with the values outside of 0-1 is ā€¦ taking the working resolution and dividing it by the higher undistorted resolution and decreasing the contrast of the uv map by that value. Changed my shader to have that option. curious how people get on with it as I donā€™t really know what action is doing ?
ā€œDropbox - uv.mx - Simplify your lifeā€

@cnoellert ā€™s workflow is pretty idiot proof and Iā€™ve been using it for over a year without issue.

1 Like

Totally itā€™s a great workflow, I was just trying to understand the odd values of the UV map and the shader is me just banging my head against the wall until I do. And the less buttons that have to be clicked is usually the path I go. Lazy maybe.

1 Like