Flame Benchmark Archive

We do all day and night long.

2 Likes

Exactly. But the reality is we save hours a day.

1 Like

Given that in such an environment, each workstation already has a high speed fiber connect to the server, it is very likely not much additional cost. Once you have 25GBe network, that easily covers 4K+ resolutions. Large NVMe SSD drives are super cheap now. 15TB for around ~1800. 4TB SATA SSD is $260. Easy to build a 200TB SSD server for under $30k. With 15 flame workstations, youā€™d make back the cost with effeciency in less than a month easy. Depending on how you calculate, could even be a week.

1 Like

some of the bigger facilities could have around 90 artists working at once clearly that would slow playback even on a 25 gbe line some doing 8k I cant imagine that would handle that throughput but I dont disagree with you it clearly has its place .

1 Like

25GBe on the workstation. Server side could easily be 100/200/400 gigE. I donā€™t know of any facility with 90 Flames active at a single within a single location.

Cool, thanks for the info.

@ALan I understand your perspective. However, convincing a corporation to invest in a solution that pays off in just a month can be a challenging task, especially when the required investment is just a few NVME storage solutions for a few hundred dollars. The politics involved can be overwhelming, and pushing the solution through the corporate structure can be difficult. Additionally, the real challenge is how Flame archives its material. If Flame were to retool its archiving mechanism, it could potentially solve the problem with a software solution, making it irrelevant how an artist or corporation decides to work. For instance, if archiving were set up to gather source material and archive it uncached with direct links back to the source material, or using other scenarios, storage costs would not be an issue, and the size of the archive and the difficulty in dealing with it would be reduced.

1 Like

Was just wondering if anyone could explain the difference between frame based / track based rendering. Frame is obviously faster. Why the choice?

Same here. At my current facility and previous.

The difference is when you select all your layer and presse render.

If itā€™s set to track based, it first calculate the entire track and then Switch to the upper one.

Frame based is calculating layer 1 frame 1 / layer 2 frame 1ā€¦

You should go for track base render, Iā€™ve done many test and most of the time itā€™s faster and you might have less crash.

Weird. They are in fact missing. @Frank mind taking a leak when you have a sec?

Well I did ask nicely. :-). Hahahahahahahaha

Hi all! Conversations are starting up at the office about what to replace our aging z840s with. Iā€™m staunchly on Team Linux, but would love to see updated data. If there are any folks bored out there on Friday afternoon with 2024.1 and M2 Studios or beastly threadripper setups that wanted to add their results to the Sheet, itā€™d do meā€¦I mean ā€œthe communityā€ a solid!

If maximum return on your investment is important, donā€™t discount the upgradability and repairability of Linux.

2 Likes

I suspect the battle Iā€™m wading into is primarily based on support requirements, but yeahā€¦I know all that jazz and am firmly on team linux. Iā€™m just curious how things look in our brave new Vulkan world.

1 Like

Would be nice to see an M3 Max and itā€™s values here at the Flame Benchmark list. If an early bird could provide data - that would be very appreciated.

Well I had done the test but completely forgot to fill in the database. I think it was around 5:20 on the new MacStudio top of the line, fully loaded cpu+ram. Iā€™ll test it again tomorrow and reportā€¦

Sinan - cok merci. But I was really interested into the new M3 Max with at least 64gb RAM. These silicons are currently avail within the new MacBook Pros only.

@Waldi I should have mine with 128gb ram in my hands in two weeks and can run it then.

4 Likes

Oh right. Yeah wrong config. Though Iā€™m looking forward to the M3 as wellā€¦