I hate Green Screens

…because no fucker on set (especially DOPs) put any thought into what they’re shooting and generally deliver a pile of poo.

7 Likes

2 Likes

/imagine The world’s worst green screens

…drawing John Thornton’s shot…

1 Like

No need to use Midjourney @randy - Reality does a far better job

2 Likes

I was joking about it recently, but I still feel like after 20 years my keys come in two categories: “I got lucky” (due to good on-set lighting), and “this is going to take a ton of work and still look mediocre”.

We like to think we can fix things because we fix things all day, but man does a shitty greenscreen ruin stuff.

3 Likes

It’s the depth of field, camera position and lighting that’s the killer. And I’ve got a gumbo of all three.

1 Like

“Aside from that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?”

I used to hate DOF, but that Crok Additive Key is a godsend. I did a few shots last week with it and they came out great.

The thing that ruins my keying day the most recently is overexposed TVs and phones.

3 Likes

Best greenscreen I ever got, (not!), was a CRT TV, (period film), the VFX supe decided to put a piece of green paper over the screen!!

1 Like

This was my worst - for reasons i cannot fathom, the DP decided to use a bright blue rim light, when the background was intended to be black space/starfield.

4 Likes

Blue fringing on greenscreen!!

it took hours to fix!

I once had a shot that was a green sock puppet on green screen. I kicked up a big stink about it, got the allocated time quadrupled and really wasn’t looking forward to it… I somehow managed to pull a near perfect key in my first few clicks in the master keyer and with some simple hold out mattes and some minor erosion using the matte edge node, I had finished all the shots with keys in a couple of hours.

4 Likes