Looking for a Flame Artist

Looking for Flame Artist to work on Video Art Film

About the project:

Burnt to Shine (Working Titel) throws time itself into flux by presenting the visitor with a dizzying multimedia installation of imploding fireworks. It explores the temporal dissonance caused by geological human interference on Earth by inviting the viewer into an psychedelic aerial landscape teeming with life and uncanny motion.

Navigating the ominous feeling that humanity has cast itself on an inevitable course of planetary depletion by way of industry and terraforming, the implosions are interspersed with subliminal imagery of vegetal and insectoid reversal and metamorphosis. It meditates on both the regenerative transformative power of burning, as well as on the disruptive effects artificial light has on plant and animal liveliness. Yet the destabilizing and at times alarming vista of Burnt to Shine remains hopeful, casting a shining light on the enduring continuity of life on Earth.

Your key responsibilities:

We are looking for a Flame Artist who can support us for a period of four weeks, starting at the end of July, in the realization of “Burn To Shine”. The main focus is to create seamless transitions between filmed footage and to clean up the shots. Determine the best possible techniques and creative approaches in collaboration with the editor and director.

Achieve simple to complex compositing tasks including 2D tracking, keying, 2D effects, extractions and time remapping.

Your experience and skills:

• Minimum 3 years of job experience in a VFX role
  • Excellent knowledge of Flame (or Nuke)
  • An eye for image compositions, including knowledge of color, light (reflection, refraction, shadows), perspective and composition
  • Enthusiastic with a creative mindset
  • Diligent and rigorous with strong attention to details
  • Comfortable in a changing environment and under pressure
  • interested in Art and immersive installations

If you have time in the given period, we would be very happy to hear from you.

About the artist

Julian Charrière, a Swiss-French artist based in Berlin, is currently working on another art-film project called “Burnt to Shine”. In his practice, Charrière creates installations and video artworks that explore the environmental impact of human industry, often travelling on expeditions to volcanos, glaciers and nuclear test sites. Charrière has been widely exhibited at museums and institutions in both in Germany and abroad.

At the moment we are preparing for a large-scale solo exhibition at the acclaimed Langen Foundation in Neuss, Ruhr. Many of the artworks in the show will focus on the relationship between humankind and fire, from the Neolithic era to the Industrial Revolution and beyond. To meditate on our inability to change the actions of the past, Charrière is for this show producing a video artwork together with filmmaker Johannes Förster. The visual of this artwork will show fireworks playing backwards, depicted as implosions rather than explosions.

It’s a paid job - please get in touch with Johannes: mail@johannesfoerster.com

6 Likes

Any expectation of remuneration?

2 Likes

I’m interested in the project.

mee too

I get a “no pay but GREAT experience” or “possible differed payment” vibe from this one @ytf !

I do too, but there’s nothing wrong with that so long as you know what you’re getting into. I’ve done quite a few of them. They can be both rewarding and/or soul sucking. I did one that was both (although more rewarding than soul sucking) and it won an Oscar. I’ve spent vacation time doing them. But I’ve always done them with the complicity of the company I worked for so that I still collected a paycheck. I can’t imagine doing it without that backup. I would never discourage anyone from doing it but I think the OP needs to be clear on the subject.

2 Likes

they have a decent budget for what it is, its not a ad so dont expect advertisment rates but they are definetely not a 0 budget student film.

Ive worked with them on their last project in a smaller capacity (helping out with color science and workflows) and Ive been in contact with johannes for a while and I suggested he should post this here as its quiet a cool and interesting project.

So yea, definetely talk to him if you are interested, its not a scam :smiley:

4 Likes

not the biggest budget, but definitely a paid job! If you are interested, please get in touch with Johannes: mail@johannesfoerster.com. Thank you!

5 Likes

Thanks so much for posting. Sounds like a cool project.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing and also the clarifications. Very helpful, and sounds interesting.

2 Likes

Where is this taking place?