Mograph question…mimic links and 3d paths

I’m trying to figure out if its possible to connect the start and end points of a 3d Path to the start and end axis in a mimic linked chain of axes.

Is it possible to extract the world coordinates for an axis when its concatenated along such a link? All i can see is the axis showing exactly the same location info as all the other mimic linked axes.

And if thats not possible, is there a way to distribute all those axes evenly along a single 3d Path?

Thanks in advance

Lightningad –

Regarding your first question, I wonder if an eval expression might be helpful.

Regarding your question about distributing axes along a single 3D path… might this be something that a Replica node could accomplish?

Thanks Chris…gives me some directions to explore!

Yes, I would suggest eval used with SelectionOrder. S and O are capital…
I usually have a two-axis branch for every instance. The top axis will have the animation that you’ll be using with eval, and the bottom one will not be animated but you can use to modify all instances by mimic-linking them. I also create an axis named control_axis just to use its values as variables later.
After animating the master axis, you should select the instances (in the order you prefer) in the animation editor, press expression and write:
eval ( master_axis, frame - (SelectionOrder) * control_axis.position.x)
By changing the value of control_axis.position.x you can adjust the offset of the animation easily.

eval_2

I think this wouldn’t work on 3D path with offsetting though… Depends on what you’re trying to achieve…

1 Like

thats great - thanks Sinan.

i’m trying to create a 3d animation with various objects being moved through a tunnel made from multiple copies of a 2d shape stretching away in z, with the end point constantly moving. I can get the camera to target the end point by using an extra axis and the look at link. Now i’m trying to find a way for the objects to follow the moving path within the tunnel.
I’ll be doing some more playing with this over the weekend, and your example is a great place to start…much appreciated.

I don’t know if this is beating a dead horse but there seems to be an internal structure that can give you the world position of an axis, even if said axis is down in a hierarchy of other axes, and even if the hierarchy is running on a 3D path.

It’s not possible to extract the position but it seems when you displace a surface and set the Direction of the displacement to a camera that’s way down the hierarchy, the convergence point of the displacement is that specific point in world space we’re looking for.