More performance from Mac Pro for long form

Hey Gang,

I’m looking into speeding up my rendering process on a lot of the work I am doing. I’m (unfortunately?) running a simple Mac setup (Radeon Pro Vega 2 32GB, 192gb DDR4 & 3.2GHz 16-Core intel) and would love your advice on how I can process this work faster.

My current advice seems to be effectively buy another system and work two machines, which is a possibility, but your thoughts, as ever, are
much loved!

1 Like

Agreed with @Sinan. For half the price of your current machine you could have a P620 that is almost 3 times faster.

3 Likes

OK thanks kindly gentlemen! Honestly greatly appreciated, I’ll speak to my engineers on this side and see what we can get built. Greatly appreciated

1 Like

Burn can really help, too. If you can set up a linux box for background rendering, you’ll really be able to speed through the work.

Beren I can’t read anything about your frame storage but Finn wrote about NVMe on Mac Pro in the past and if you don’t use this, may be you can speed up your Mac by just using a faster frame store if you currently don’t?

NVMe Raid 0 speed topic on Mac Pro

1 Like

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the heads up! I’m not sure it’s an option at the moment, as my Linux knowledge is very limited, however i have put out a few feelers to freelance engineers about the possibility of supplying the Linux support. Thanks again!

I got a quote for a fully configured burn node from my reseller. A lot less expensive than a whole flame, and with 10G-Ethernet, a very quick renderer.

Didn’t know you could use Burn with Mac flames. Good to know.

1 Like

I didn’t think you could.

You can’t run a burn node on a Mac, but you can send burn renders from a Mac to Linux nodes.

4 Likes

A lot of interesting thoughts here. I am likely going to veer towards getting another Mac setup, to work with someone alongside myself. Effectively just holding a Flare licence, along with Mocha and some of the other 3rd parties. Just got to keep an eye on the new Apple M1, I guess!

Ideally i’d go Linux world, but my knowledge is very limited and I’ve not really the contacts and support to assist me over this way in Edinburgh. Lots to ponder!

1 Like

Aye, 'tis a great shout, and so of how I imagined it would go. Unfortunately I do not have the proper support for that set up just yet. Alas, one day!

Thanks Chris!