MPC freezes wages for 2022

Not currently having employees or being in charge of a payroll doesn’t mean I don’t get to expect more from multi-billion dollar companies that have and continued to treat me, my friends and my loved ones like shit.

If I was still at The Mill I’d likely be going on 8 years now without an increase in pay. I left because I was a strong performer, had a growing team, had returning clients worth millions in revenue each year, and couldn’t get a raise in my last 5 years, having also been a key member in growing a studio from 12 to 75 people.

Comparatively I was paid about 25% under market value and during the 2015-2020 with zero wage growth, that represents just about 9% in additional cumulative decline in purchasing power due to inflation. I can’t even fathom what the cumulative wage decline would be with inflation how it is today.

So, I’d say this means I’m relatively qualified to talk shit when those I love don’t get what they deserve.

6 Likes

Dude, I learned to read with Winnie The Pooh. The Brits invented the language. There is a u in colour. And don’t get me going with the fucking teachers who kept marking “centre” as wrong. I mean, what the fuck, the street and the end of mine was Centre St. I read that fucking sign every day. Who the fuck is she to tell me I’m wrong . . . Sorry, you got me going. I have to stand with the Brits on this one.

6 Likes

Ya know the Americans won the Revolutionary War in 1783, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

“And to convince the Brits that there is no fecking ‘u’ in ‘color.’”
I think you’ll find the name of the language is “english”, not american, so yes, there is a iu in colour!!

2 Likes

And don’t even get me started on your stubborn insistence on using the imperial system.

4 Likes

When it comes to language, I don’t let that colour my judgement.

1 Like

Ah, if I had a stone’s weight in gold for every time I’ve heard that, I’d have 63,502.93 kgs. :upside_down_face:

“My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that’s the way I likes it!”

4 Likes

Okay yeah, imperial blows. But let’s not forget the most important topic in this thread.

There’s no U in color.

1 Like

If you really want to go back in time, MPC was setup in the 70’s by a guy called Mike Luckwell, he then sold it to Carlton Communications.
I joined in '84 as a runner and left in '94 after being one of the first flame artists there.
Back then it was a great place to work at, if not the best place in London, we thought we were big when we got to 100 employees, now its over 5000,! (I believe)

2 Likes

I’ve come around on (some) imperial measurements. The divisiblity via multiple factors is nice, and feet and inches are better than meters (too big) and centimeters (too small) for general measurement.

@andy_dill I had absolutely no idea what you were talking about, until I realised you were referring to metres and centimetres.
:wink:

2 Likes

F is also better than C for determining what kind of clothing to wear outside.

And don’t forget there’s two i’s in aluminium!

Post Perfect was also a Carlton Company for a while.

Betcha 5 bob you lose this argument.

1 Like

I think the really insulting thing about this is the presumption that the job needs more help because everyone was just f-king off at home.

It’s very “You children have been behaving yourselves so you are allowed two days to ‘work from home’. In exchange you don’t get a raise.” Like I know some of my producers think their artists are children that need to be treated as such but maybe don’t make your official company line?

5 Likes

Actually, I used to work with a good friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us, she was American and we used to joke about the difference in spelling and pronunciation between English and the American variant, I was quite surprised to find that for once, the spelling of aluminum was correct, vs the English spelling aluminium, as it’s originally a French word.

1 Like

al recording GIF

I like to think that I don’t have any skin in the game, even though I’m a slave to embodiment and try not to be Cartesian and ill-coordinated. I know what I mean, at least fuzzily.

Anyway, if you are catching some zzzz’s instead of some ssssss’s, I’ve always been flummoxed by Flame’s wish to have it both ways, in splitting the différance. Yes, those people above you, geo-graphically speaking (from world coordinates where “up” perhaps means something), the Canadians, those people who design Flame, have some nodes that face downwards to those loving heirs, like yourself, of Noah Webster and others that face the pUKe…

…And so you have the “colour warper” and the various other “colo(u)r” tools, and then you have the “auto stabilize.” Pick a side and arm wrestle for it.

Cheers
Tony

PS Sorry to duck the more important interrelated issues in the thread. The macro-economic shocks, that tie MPC situation to the Ukraine and to the post-pandemic inflation and thus the devaluation of employees. It looks like Randy had his head screwed on in terms of the relatively recent re-valuing of his labours (soz, labors)