MPC freezes wages for 2022

Dayum.

This will be an interesting Petri dishā€¦

1 Like

This makes me hungry for one those flakey triangular pastry things filled with fruit, what is that thing called? Oh yeah, turnover! High rates of those. Mmmmā€¦

I just canā€™t see how someone thought this was a good way to go about this- no raises in 2022 plus the no option of work from home, drop that on everybody all at once. I just donā€™t get it- but I guess I donā€™t have an MBA or something? Just canā€™t imagine this going super great for them.

6 Likes

Ya know, somethings got to give. Iā€™m tired of seeing email signatures from major studios touting how much they care about their employees and to ā€œnot feel compelled to respond to messages outside of business hours.ā€ Really? You know someone in a marketing department somewhere thought thatā€™d be a top tip in slowing turnover.

How about you put a page up on your website with all the benefits you are going to provide your employees?

How about you ditch the bullshit DOILS or TOILS policy or whatever the feck you call them and start paying for overtime?

How about you pay parental leave in the U.S.?

How about you take all that wasted effort on monthly birthday parties and instead give us our birthday off?

How about you publish the percentages of managers and directors that are women and people of color?

How about you allow permanent work from home or flexible work hours or somethingā€¦I dunnoā€¦moderately resembling a 21st century post-Covid postmodern work week?

How about you legitimately look at the waste within your organizations and find a way to not offshore 35% of your work overseas?

And how about you stop forcing freelancers to temporarily be your employee so your books look good but donā€™t offer any actual benefits and force them to sign arbitration agreements so they canā€™t sue you when you wrong them?

What will it take the major studios to do something human and helpful for your artists? Do we need to forum a union? Boycott you? Shame you? Or open new studios and take your talent from you?

Mel Gibson Freedom GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

11 Likes

Okay yeah. This.

https://untoldstudios.tv/careers/

This is how it ought to be done.

6 Likes

This might be an awesome place to work! I donā€™t know. I think it goes without saying that a company website can say whatever it wants, but the best tool we have in terms of finding out what are the great places to work at (and the places to avoid) is each other.

Itā€™s a fabulous place. Amazing artists, exceptional leadership. 10/10 would recommend.

1 Like

This is how it ought to be done!

What they need is a Australasia devision!

Itā€™s all our old friends. Theyā€™ll be running the world in no time.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a passive aggressive way of downsizing. Once the roster drops to where they want it they lift a few restrictions to stem the flow. They are probably aware that the people who stay are people who really need the job and will tow the line. I wonder if any of the other companies under the I-forget-what-they-are-called-now umbrella will follow suit.

4 Likes

A $3B company in 2021 with almost $300M in EBITDA? I donā€™t think they are passive aggressive.

It pisses me off. I know far too many amazing artists there that donā€™t deserve this garbage.

2 Likes

How many people have left?
Terrible policies.

Are they owned by venture capitalists? That would explain a lot.

Looking after your ā€˜wellbeingā€™ at the big places :joy:

2 Likes

Exactly. Oh, itā€™s our fault we arenā€™t 100% mentally healthy?

Basically they are, yeah. I think the deal is Technicolor bought MPC for 76 million USD then said ā€œMPC, you need to pay off all this debt we incurred buying you!ā€ The ability to treat people well and pay decent salaries is mitigated by the need to pay off that debt and make shareholders money. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s also a few nigh-useless CEO types at the top that pay themselves gobs of money. Itā€™s a ridiculously inefficient system, but capitalism specializes in that specific type of corporate inefficiency. The people with money are making more, after all. The system works! :clown_face:

My heart goes out to anyone working at a company so shitty. I hope you find a new job soon. Many better shops out there.

For what itā€™s worth I was terrified of leaving my staff job, but itā€™s one of the best things thatā€™s happened in my career. Lifeā€™s too fucking short to be undervalued.

13 Likes

Canā€™t wait till you have some employees, need to run a business and make payroll. These will be some great memes.

Iā€™m pretty much convinced the entire exercise was a long, expensive process for Thomson to acquire a much sexier name.

2 Likes

And to convince the Brits that there is no fecking ā€˜uā€™ in ā€˜color.ā€™

2 Likes