The work on the air vs the work on the reel

Hey everyone, I would like some opinions on an issue. I love cars and naturally car spots, but all the car spots I worked in the last few years, not only wasn’t so nice to see and of course, the job is always the same. Clean reflections, darken the glass, do beauty work on the pavement all the usual stuff.

Right now I’m working on a full cg spot of a car and the 3d renders are actually very nice, but of course, there’s a lot of cool “spicing” that can be done in comp which is really fun to do. Is been a while since I don’t actually enjoy doing some work like in this one now, but (and is not like it never happened to me, is just bugging me more this time) the director pretty much only wants me to deal with depth of field and some times, gamma down or up in some specific areas. And there are some shots that really grow with some atmosphere, flares glints, lens dirts and things like that. Sorry for the huge text, but my actual question is, how do you guys feel about delivering the work as the director, agency and client wants and when it comes the time to bring it on the reel, do the “flame artist” version hahahah? I never did that because usually I’m so tired of working on the project that I don’t want to see nothing about it when I’m done. But in this case, I’ really am getting happy with the results and in the end is actually being an easy job, so, no trauma in it hahaha. For the record, I don’t discard the possibility that I’m just doing nasty work and nobody wants to say it.

Once again sorry if the post is too big, and hope it makes sense.

I do it, I’m actually doing that right now. I’m cleaning up a project, making some tweaks that make me happy.
This is just me, but Reels are judged by how good they look. (if we can even get people to look at the reel) And you always want to put your best foot forward. Just make sure that if they ask how long that shot took, you add the time you did.

Brooks

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think there’s any problem with that. That’s exactly why we get saddled with making director and agency versions, they want something different for their reels.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much how I feel, I guess I never had giving any real thought to this, I gotta be honest, I actually hate making a reel.

Use your best judgment. I used to work with an editor that put his own cut of a spot on his reel and website, and when it got sent out with a bid for a different job at the agency that’d done the first spot, the agency head of production fliiiiippped out.

1 Like

That’s a little rich, isn’t it? How many directors cuts and agency cuts have you finished over the years?

1 Like

Lots of them!! I’m not sure why it always felt strange to make my own version also.

1 Like

@hbomb42 is right. Use your judgement, make it, keep it handy, and do your best to present the right material to the right audience.

Ever hear of the phrase “bait the hook to suit the fish?” Do that.:slight_smile:

(As long as you aren’t manipulating someone’s intellectual property and could get the client, agency, studio in trouble)

1 Like

Thanks man, actually never heard that sayin. I know maybe this question I brought up sounded a bit junior, but I felt it was worth some thoughts on it.

1 Like

Nah, I don’t think it’s junior at all. Someone with less experience would let it fly, and, perhaps get burned by it. Someone with your experience is like…hold on a sec, lemme gut check this. After delivery, let the dust settle a few months, revisit, and repurpose. If it passes the squint test its probably fine. Just don’t make the vehicle something that would make the vehicle company get involved.

It was one he liked that the agency had explicitly killed. I’ve done a ton of agency and director’s cuts, but those generally have agency approval. OP is probably 100% fine to do his own version, as long as he doesn’t ever send it to the original director.

2 Likes

@hBomb42, yeah, okay…explicity killed is quite important.

Interesting man! With this one I’m working, is funny because I started using a reference they sent me, and suddenly they don’t want none of which was on it.

1 Like

Great point @randy

You didn’t get the memo? That’s a reference of what they don’t want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, so that’s the problem, the memo I didn’t read!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s probably in your Spam folder.

1 Like

Is all gmail’s fault!