Who is using Flame Freelancers with their own systems?

I’m interested for people to share their experience with the following. Do you regularly use Flame freelancers with their own systems (or cloud based, please specify) as part of your post production workflow? Alternatively, are you a Flame freelancer that predominantly services overflow work from Post Production facilities or do you more get direct work from clients?

The reasoning behind my question is that I personally believe this to be a common usage of Flame now, and I wonder if there shouldn’t be a strong focus on building upon this strength by the product management team? If there was a strong way to integrate and tap into this flame freelance market, it could be a real strength for Flame over other offerings. However, if Flame isn’t really being used in this way much then it would be a waste of time exploring.

I’ve hired quite a few with their own systems and it’s worked well. Small operation though.

1 Like

i work 80 % in my own system but for post productions compagnies.

1 Like

I also offer myself with a workstation. It’s good to have it as a backbone, but I’ve been working mostly on-site with clients’ systems. But I just started freelancing a year ago, so that might change (hopefully).

3 Likes

We almost always use freelancers who come into the studio and work on our equipment inside our network.

1 Like

90% of our freelance usage is onsite. We have 1 permalancer that we allow to work remotely via Teradici since he has been with us for years, and has proven himself.

Zero chance we will ever allow someone to work on their own gear remotely. We have the best top-of-the-line ThreadRippers with A6000, 25GBe networking, a 200TB SSD central S+W plus 1.5 PB of spinning NAS, and a very good Burn farm. We also have very specific ShotGrid pipeline requirements that would be burdensome to integrate with remote work. No freelancer could match the technical capability we have inherently, and yet they would want to charge a premium to work on their MacBook Air.

3 Likes

It really depends on the number of licenses each facility has. I freelanced a lot using my at home system but, for larger shops, I remoted in. It’s hard to say what the proportion is, but my guess is that all boutique-size places will hire freelancers with their own systems while the larger post-houses will prefer their in-house boxes used remotely.
I’d say it’s a 50-50 thing but ultimately depends on who books you. There’s plenty room for at-home setups to get used.

1 Like