30 years of Flame = 30 Autodesk swag bundles to give away! 🎂🎁

Favorite memory?

Having a Monday deadline and a busted swdb at midnight Sunday. Called support - Jack answers - FROM SYDNEY! He team viewers in, sorts the problem in 20 min, and we’re back in business.

Second favorite memory?
Coffee in the break room with the Support team in Montreal. Putting faces to the greatest bunch of people.

Josh

5 Likes

That schadenfreude feeling of coming 3rd in the latest one frame of white but seeing my entry as almost the final shot in the year end review video.

2nd favourite was convincing the boss to buy me a flame licence after many years of yearning!

3 Likes

I think one of my favourite memories was when we bought one of the first Flints in the UK.

I was busy going through the manual when I had a call from one of the online suites. They were editing a period drama starring and directed by Jeremy Irons, that had been shot on film. They had noticed a thin scratch line briefly appear over a major banqueting scene, probably caused by a piece of dirt trapped in the gate.

The editor asked if I could take a look. I pulled it into the Flint and noticed that the scratch was a perfect one pixel wide and stayed on the same vertical, so it was an easy fix, and I sent the clip back to the suite.

Nothing happened and no one call called back, and about to head home, when suddenly the door flung open and Jeremy Irons, who I didn’t know was in the building, burst into the suite dressed in horse riding gear - he just been out riding near London. He grabbed my hand and started shaking it, saying how relieved he was that the shot was fixed and thank you. He then promptly left. I don’t think I said a word.

10 Likes
  • the legendary coffee machine in the cafeteria at 10 Duke St

• having Alex Arce use one of my batch setups to demo Flame at NAB

• the SD → HD cheat sheet on the bottom of my SGI keyboard that ended in the “Grip of Death”

2 Likes

Haha so many, but maybe this:

Indonesian hospital with broken ribs.

9 Likes

OMG that coffee machine… And don’t you dare walk up and fumble trying to pull an espresso shot while their staff waited behind you.

I had a few trips where we got to spend a few days here and there workshopping things with Autodesk folk at Rue Duke, figuring out how it all was really supposed to work and what could be possible, dreaming about ideas and products which never quite made it, peeking under the covers just a bit.

It was an incredible opportunity and relationship to have with a vendor. And the coffee was really good.

For a specific Flame memory… I recall fondly the crazy power the “Send to Cleaner” button had in exporting clips at that particular point in time? Granted, you had to draw a sword and fight Backburner to the death every so often when dealing with it, but Flame’s integration with handling exports and farming them out to other machines was beautiful at that moment in history.

1 Like

I was burned pretty badly by that espresso machine and burned EVEN WORSE by Send to Cleaner. Never touched either again.

But I do have fond memories of the blended fruit drinks in the fridge below the coffee maker (banana-orange? Am I remembering that right?) and the little Enterprise-like sculptures that @Slabrie would make out of the freshness seals and keep atop his monitor.

Like so:

1 Like

One of my favorite memories…is when i started, it was know…if you had a large tablet, the higher in the pecking order you are. But if you had one of the 3 inferno, you are the jeTi (not misspelled, deep fans know) of the group.

My mother in-law broke my tall flame user group glass (mistake), would love it and or a T-shirt :).

2 Likes

Lots of good memories from NAB. We were all so young and innocent in 2019 before the Covid

2 Likes

My favorite Flame memory will happen on Saturday, April 23rd, 2022, during the Logik Live.

6 Likes

I am very much enjoying Flame at the moment.

I am the hub of a huge production. Dishing out shots and pulling them all back in to the edit.

I might actually get to comp a couple of shots if I get through this list of deliveries.

Seriously though what else can do this much and at the speed we work?

8 Likes

An absolutely fabulous time! Can’t wait to do a big one next year!

Ah! The entreprise-like sculpture! These were the days :wink:

2 Likes

I’d see them when I would come down to file my bug reports in person, which I assume you all really appreciated. (I am sorry about doing that)

3 Likes

13 Likes

Bugs?!? Never heard about that! Oh, memories :wink:

1 Like

I have one more, i remember when the diamond keyer, and motion was a big deal, we only had 7 undos and timeline was completely unusable…those where the days

3 Likes

“As with most things, this will become clearer if we draw a picture…”

Confused Superbowl GIF by Republic Records

3 Likes

Ah yes, the “linear” monitor display…

Reading that page brings me back to the near-decade when I was trying to understand any of that stuff.

4 Likes

ohh those…

1 Like