AI subtitles

Client; can you create subs as srts and hardsubs in 12 different langauges fir the 200 edits please?

Me: sure, thatll be 2 million Danish Waffles

Client: We dont have that many waffles, cant you do it with AI?

Me: Yes but i cant promise you itll be useful and you still pay me to run the ai, burn it into the image etc. thats be just 250.000 Danish waffles, for possibly useless subtiltes. You also need to pay the sound studio for a clean voice export of each edit.

Client: perfect, can you start right now.

2 weeks later I have now done hundrets of revisions on the ai subtitles, Srt version 50 bouncing between clients and their spanish/italian/turkish speaking friends to correct mistakes.

Another 2 weeks for making the timing of the subs better.

ā€¦

me: thatll be 3.5 million Danish waffles

Client : no problem, thanks for fixing these aweful subtiltes.

I love AI, its the best.

11 Likes

@finnjaeger - so happy to see that you charged moreā€¦
immensely curious how making 200 edits improves the ROIā€¦
perhaps itā€™s a very wide monte carlo spreadā€¦?

When they told us Ai would create ā€œnewā€ jobs I guess I shouldā€™ve been less skepticalā€¦ā€¦

4 Likes

@BenV - oh good, now i get to temporally rearrange syllables for a living - hey mom, look how far weā€™ve come. pass the twinkies.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve looked into this type of thing for Logik Academy Pro and the amount of bullshit it takes to correct the AI subtitles for our highly technical language is insane balls.

It is currently one of the most laborious and labor-intensive parts of running an entire educational platform.

3 Likes

now they have the benefit of bragging about using AI on linkedin

2 Likes

@finnjaeger - you should tell them that LinkedIn has an AI service that can brag about you on LinkedInā€¦

I think itā€™s called self-prAIseā€¦

3 Likes

:rocket: Embracing the Future of Subtitling with AI! :movie_camera:

Imagine needing subtitles in 12 different languages for hundreds of video edits. With AI, what once seemed like an impossible task becomes not only achievable but also efficient and cost-effective.

Our AI-driven subtitling process allows us to create and deliver subtitles quickly and accurately across multiple languages. The best part? We handle everythingā€”from generating the subtitles to perfectly syncing them with your video content.

In just a few weeks, we can transform a complex project into a polished, multilingual masterpiece. By leveraging AI, we ensure every detail is refined and every subtitle is on point, ready to meet your audienceā€™s needs.

:bulb: The Power of AI: AI has revolutionized subtitling, enabling us to offer faster turnaround times and impeccable quality. Weā€™re excited to help our clients reach global audiences with seamless, beautifully crafted subtitles. With AI on our side, the possibilities are endless! :earth_africa::sparkles:

1 Like

On the amount of edits:

yes. spray and pray

1 Like

We had this battle with Google Corp a few years ago. When AI captions were still inferior to what they are today.

We created human corrected English captions through a vendor. We did a quick QC pass. We then made Google Docs out of them and sent them to client for proofing. Once they proofted them, we had them translated, made new Google docs and sent them to their regional teams for proofing. Then we took them back and baked them in via MediaComposer. I think we only re-did one file.

Convincing argument: you are the subject matter experts on your products and your very complicated brand guidelines on capitalization of your brand names and product names. You need to do the proofing yourself.

That worked pretty well for the most part. But after a while they got tired of proofing and we had to do the English ones, and then used the translated ones as is (their choice). But at least they understood what is involved.

Iā€™ve also done the AI route (if there is no budget to send it out). My current preferred method is to send them through SpectraLayers which will generate an .srt file (and run locally, no Cloud processing). Also no cost other than the software.

I then load the captions and the video file into Subtitle Edit and QC them where theyā€™re easy to fix and visible in context of the video. Also get lots of helpful QC features there, some of which will autofix a lot of problems.

Then convert into whatever comes next - whether thatā€™s .srt for Flame, .txt for MediaComposer. or .scc for Premiere (multi-stream, re-positioning).

AI captions do need a lot of fixing. But unless you have really big $$$$ itā€™s too costly to get high quality human captions (and translations). Also takes quite a bit of time. Clientā€™s should budget for both, but they donā€™t.

The old mantra: ā€˜Do more with lessā€™.

And thatā€™s exactly what we should fear with all the AI based VFX tools. Once they learn that in 15% of cases we got lucky with an AI short cut, that timing and budget becomes the baseline, never mind that the other 85% donā€™t work out.

Fuck highly technical: Iā€™d/ide be/bee happy if it knew/new the difference between theyā€™re, there and their. And can you imagine if the original voices were Scots?

2 Likes

@ytf - Och, away wiā€™ ye! Haud yer wheesht! :rofl:

This year Iā€™m hoping that humans can tell the difference between heal and heel.

ā€œElevenā€

2 Likes