Anti Aliasing issues

That is very curious. I checked it on my Mac. Both 2020 and 2022 exhibit the same behaviour.

I will test it again in the morning on the Linux.

I have some time today. I’d love to take a look at this. I’ve experienced similar things in the past.

I just loaded the setup on my z840 and am seeing the same issue. I can’t get the thin vertical parts of the letters in the text message to not alias. If I turn on motion blur I mostly don’t notice, but if I look closely I can still see it.

1 Like

Is that setup available someplace? I don’t see a link in the thread

It’s in discord

1 Like

now its here
aliasing setup.zip (1.3 MB)

1 Like

Same here on Linux. Turning up HWAA helps.

Thanks for cross posting that Randy. HWAA only affects the outside edges for me.

Curious if you’ve tried this comp in another software, and did you see similar results?

Your original had AA set to 8. If you set that to 1 and turn the HWAA up to x64 you will see a slight improvement. If you keep AA set to one and switch HWAA to different values, you should see a marked difference.

I did briefly try it in AE. But it looks worse by a mile. I haven’t kept up with AE though, so I might be missing some AA options (I have it in full res, best quality, full raster, flipped between bilinear and bicuic).

Nuke?

No Nuke for this old horse.

I pulled in that batch and took a look. My two cents is just that those anti-aliasing lines that you’re seeing are “just what it looks like” at that angle and that resolution.

I think the reason that no work-around anyone has suggested has worked is because something’s gotta give when you scale text down that significantly, and to that extreme an angle. When you view it at 100%, the anti-aliasing lines are nearly imperceptible. When you zoom way in to 400% that’s when you can see the issue and it becomes a problem, but to my eye it plays fine at 100%, especially with motion blur turned on.

1 Like

This is a great case study @aaronneitz

I had another play on linux when I got back into work and to @Jeff 's point. Yup it is just what it does at that angle.

I always do my screen comps using perspective grid and stage one I get a stabilized, straightened clip of the phone for me to comp. At this angle it looks great but put the perspective grid back on and all of that crunchy stuff you have been seeing comes back. Now I would be happy to have this level of softness (RHS) when I use EWA+Linear but I can imagine how frustrating it would be if a client was requesting “sharper, sharper”.

1 Like

These are tiny typos having lines being smaller than 1 pixel, so having it sharp and also readable is technically impossible.

Instead of rezising it down after a UHD Action, add a 2D transform to half the size. Then use the resize to crop out the sides. Somehow the 2D trans does the EWA+Linear a little bit different than the action.

If the client still want’s to have it more readable, make the typo bigger/thicker

1 Like

Make it bigger! Funny enough, half these shots were blown up over 200% already. No one thinking ahead when they shot it.

Welp. Let’s call this goose cooked!