Anti Aliasing issues

Is this a Live Preview/3D thing in the viewer?

1 Like

Live Preview. But you still see it downstream and in renders.

Maybe I should post the flat art file, and bored citizens of Flame can do a quick bilinear on their rig.

As Mark alluded to, have you double checked the field settings in action, on your clip, etc.?

1 Like

Good thought, but itā€™s all P. Flipping to fields looks very obviously fields.

1 Like

Does the insert have an alpha?

1 Like

feeding it a separate matte. But I can disconnect it and nothing changes.

The only thing Iā€™m seeing in my very quick at-home test is EWA filtering is noticeably stronger than either linear, anisotropic or linear+anisotropic.

If linear is looking jaggy in motion maybe wind up moblur instead of using EWA.

Or you know, do what I do and say ā€œitā€™s a phone screen. who cares?ā€ and sharpen after the fact if the clients are resolution-obsessed.

which, I should note, is a pointless activity. There was a recent commercial where I wanted to see it as sharply as possible, so I watched the highest res youtube that the company put up, I saw it on the TV, but in all cases, the compression absolutely shredded the image. All of these concerns over prores compression, grain, etc, do not matter in todayā€™s broadcast landscapeā€“the broadcasted image is going to compress all of that away.

1 Like

Yup, for real dude. We also got into the whole enchilada of ā€œis that our green? thatā€™s not our greenā€¦ā€

But I sincerely appreciate everyoneā€™s input! Maybe Iā€™m just taking crazy pills and itā€™s always been this way. Trying to blame it on my Mac. When, in reality, it was me all along. (But our bearded British friend also mentioned ā€œthis looks weirdā€ so maybe itā€™s mass hallucination)

1 Like

I literally just went on a rant in another thread about ā€œour greenā€ and that whole pile of worms. My personal favorite ā€œpantoneā€ moment was when I was asked to make a purple sports drink label a specific pantone purple, even though it was semi transparent and containing an orange liquid and thus photographed as gray. You could only see the purple if the bottle was empty.

but I suppose if you make your living convincing rich corporate bigwigs that their brand is a specific RGB value you donā€™t or canā€™t care about that nuance. Itā€™s got to be easier to say ā€œyeah it looks fake, but itā€™s our green,ā€ than to explain to said person the nuances of color temperature and ambient light bounce.

1 Like

Not that out there. But clamping has no effect.

Iā€™m thinking my solve of bumping the comp up to UHD and scaling down to HD with EWA+Linear is the winner for smoothest results. Obviously in this commercial the client was REALLY concerned about reading the text message so it was a lot of scrambling to make them happy.

Now letā€™s go anti-alias some legal for bonus points!

2 Likes

Hmm, yeah that aliasing in the EWA+Linear example looks wrong to me, not the expected behavior especially with all that anti-aliasing.
Hereā€™s the hooky old school Flame question, did you try a new user yet?

Have you tried using the Perspective Grid instead of the Surface options?
Since the Perspective Grid will throw it in 3D space so using Z as well my ā€œGuessā€ is that itā€™s performing a different sort of calculation then just the manipulation of a flat surface, thus your EWA+Linear results ā€œMayā€ be more in line with what youā€™re looking for.
Anyways I just say this as I do all my phone comps with the Perspective Grid and EWA+Linear and have for some time now.
I also almost never need to use Anti Aliasing for phone comps. Your, up to UHD, comp and back to HD is more of what I would expect.

Perspective grid still looks goofy. But interesting workflow I never considered. I incidentally opened an old Flame 2020 and started a new project new user, still same.

Does the GPU have ANYTHING to do with this? Is it possible thereā€™s a GPU bug? Radeon W6800X Duo.

1 Like

Weird. I do a ton of screen comps and havenā€™t seen this. Do you have a test scene you can send me? Donā€™t need any live action bg. Just a resolution amd screen insert.

That would be really awesome, Randy. Let me pack something up end of day.

I saw similar on my M1 machine, so it seems like it could be mac specific, but not GPU specific. That said, unless we run the exact same setup, itā€™ll be hard to compare.

Is it worth saving out a batch setup that just has colored cards and the generic art file? Put a 640x480 render node at the end and we can all render out tiny jpegs and compare.

Yup. Iā€™ll whack out a simple batch setup and an art file.

Lotsa heavy brain power on this caper.

2 Likes

Movie Comedy GIF

Since the pandemic I do 2/3 of my work on a mac and 1/3 on a Linux boxā€¦and lots of phone comps. My usual workflow is to pre-blur the image a bit, depending on how much it needs to be resized in the comp. Iā€™ve never had either machine behave like this. Very strange.

Iā€™d actually try converting and comping in linear. Part of it might just be antialiasing going a bit mad with such a large downscale and gamma getting in the way on these hard-edged solid color graphics and text.

1 Like