Deprecation of Support for Sparks

Theres still nothing out there as good as keylight, so for me, this is a deal breaker.
I probably won’t be upgrading any more.

1 Like

5d monsters became Speedsix, which was bought by genarts, who were themselves bought by Boris, so less than zero chance of them ever coming back, IMO.

I always favored Primatte myself, but yeah. These alternative keyers are sorely needed in Flame. The matchbox ones are a good attempt, but just don’t cut it.

2 Likes

I have a lot of car shots at the moment, all night time shots, keylight is the only one that will preserve the reflections on the windows. The IBK is good, but not quite good enough.

I do a ton of poorman’s process and I’ve landed with the additive keyer in @joelosis mode. It works well. I’ll see if I can rollout a setup just to show.

7 Likes

Over in Nuke where both Primatte and Keylight are built-in a common practice is to use Primatte for procedural keys and Keylight for edge and spill suppression. The combo is quite versatile. The Victor Perez videos on fxphd are a good source of inspiration there if needed.

I’m trying hard to get out of the habit of projecting the solutions of one app and expect them to work as is in another app, and instead give the other app’s tools a blank sheet of paper (i.e. see what can be done with Flame’s keyers rather than expect them to match), but it certainly adds complexity if you already have established patterns/workflows.

2 Likes

… much. Another benefit: it used a constant seed value so the grain pattern was the same for every render which helped getting comps through a diff matte check.F_SmartPlate – Feed it a shot where the camera’s movement covered a larger area and it would build a master cleanplate.F_RigRemove – Didn’t always work as well as you’d hope but its output would often be something that you could improve upon.
[/quote]

I wish Lewis Saunders’ Ls_Wireless is part of main software with tracking option !!

Here’s a work around until that happens:

4 Likes

Awesome thank you !!

Have to check this out! Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

So folks, here’s a poor-man’s process batch from the last spot I worked on. I’ve included material so it goes without saying, but be kind and don’t spread it around. I landed on this setup after test-driving several other approaches specifically for reflection retention, but honestly it may not be for everyone.

The issue that I run into with poor-man’s process across the board is what the exposure of the exterior should be versus what the DP has exposed the interior to be. They are always wildly out of match and you always end up having to give the client something they think looks good versus something that looks correct. It happens but I like that you can just roll up and down the exposure in the keyer itself using the blend, offset and gamma amounts when the client says it looks to bright in the windows.

Edit: Just noticed there’s a resize on the render node I added that shouldn’t be there—my bad.

9 Likes

I did use 5d cyborg… oh maaan.

1 Like

I :heart: this setup @cnoellert

2 Likes

Nice,
But Chris, it may not be ecstatically as nice but your exterior needs more exposure. Now the rim of the black inside door panel has more exposure then road / exterior, in reality it would be the opposite.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. I especially like the flyaways removal. Gonna add that into my user bin.

2 Likes

Det vet du @Bjorn_Benckert. That was what I mentioned in the post—It easily should have been a couple stops brighter, but clients get what they want.

1 Like

How do you unzip it?, I get an error message saying it’s too big to unzip.

I’d love to see that. Surely I’m doing something wrong, but I’ve never arrived at results from the MX (default mode or Joel’s) that are close to my large and unwieldy additive batch setup. I’d love to be able to get there with one MX.

1 Like

I too was unable to unzip this but am dyin to check it out! @cnoellert

@paul_round and @BrittCiampa lemme see if I can figure something else out. Standby…

1 Like