Filsync macOS

@ALan Haven’t you mentioned on other threads multiple issues with using Teradici?!

Teradici is far from perfect, but it’s whatever everybody uses.

scaling up/down

Commecials are so up and down, we do use parsec/remote when we can, bur then suddenly its 20 artists for 2 weeks and i just cant have all those machines just on standby.

Yes cloud workstations are a option.

so many freelancers have mac studios or whatever why have 2 when they jusr work on a few shots and send it back, far more economical if the filesync isnt a huge pain in the …

2 Likes

They have fixed the Gnome interaction issue pretty much, that was our biggest issue.

1 Like

Was just chatting with Seth Goldin (as follow-up to above). He’s on LucidLink right now but is evaluating SuiteStudios.io as a more cost effective provider, which apparently also has a site caching solution that may solve some of these issues.

@cnoellert let me know if you’re interested and I can connect you guys too.

Suite Studios doesn’t appear to have Linux support.

That’s good to know.

We’ve had to delay Moonlight testing due to workload but will report back once we actually get to it.

1 Like

Oh yeah. I’d be very interested to see how that goes.

I’m thinking Moonlight probably won’t be an option for us due to security requirements. Especially considering NVIDIA stopped supporting Moonlight in 2020 and have focussed on NVIDIA Grid. Wonder if somebody could utilise that tech (which is the evolution of Moonlight I am guessing) for a remote desktop solution? I cannot find out information on how the feed is encrypted (bar that it uses HTTPS) so even with remote artists having to VPN in, I am not so sure it is up to spec.

As it would be a pain to get Moonlight studio or TPN accredited, we may not ever get to testing Moonlight but we still might investigate it. Pen sensitivity is an issue so you need to utilise other software for that, and it ends up being a complex beast that would be too hard for remote artists to implement most likely.

interesting how $75/Tb would be considered cost effective.

All I want is to have a remote flame arist doenlosd the openclip and the sourcefile and the batch (we only use dwaa)

I am seriously considering using a old mac pro as a nas with chronosync and CCC and such things its really nifty honestly, throw in 64TB of raid0 nvme storage and such, pretty cool.

@Taliessyn found this cool new
thang →

adds a bunch more but like semi-pipe tools and some production tracking one of the coolest features is their cloud drive which we tried with wasabi and its pretty snappy, select custom cache folder and off you go. sort of works like lucid.

Yeah I noticed that. It looks like it’s otherwise feature for feature what you get with LucidLink. The local network caching aside, which can be circumvented with an nfs mount they basically seem the same. Price-wise there are no real savings.

The Linux support is indeed a gap.

As I understand it, Suite is built on top of Cloud Front storage, not the cloud centric providers like AWS. The cost savings can come if you bring your own Cloud Front account. But I’m just passing along, don’t have first hand knowledge. Seth did run a variety of test scenarios against Lucid, so he would be better to speak to this.

1 Like

I think all info is good info. Ultimately we all want to hear what glue people are bolting shit together with… thanks for adding them to the conversation.

1 Like

reservoir dogs film GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

1 Like

How did you keep the folders on Lucid in sync with the Synology folders? Is Chronos an app you used?

I tried to use Synology Drive, but it wouldn’t work when I set the location to a Lucid volume.

-Ted

Chronosync from a local directory (or network share) on a mac to lucid share works fine.

Like honestly Fuse-T + Rclone is all we ever wanted… it just does the localhost NFS mount that works fine with VFS caching thats build into rclone.

I put my pipeline team on it to build us a easy to use client that mounts stuff like this with one button into the right paths …

What works really well is actually just mountainduck with a S3 share.

you can pin folders like you can in lucid, mount it wherever you feel like, good!

Its not maximum performance, butnits snappy “enough” , now there is room for improvement but i do think that the best way is actually some kind of virtual drive mount like lucid and such, just to get a easy way of making sure studio+ freelancers paths are identical which I think is very important.

Ive been dreaming up some device that just holds like a 4tb nvme as a cache but you connect via usb /thunderbolt and acts like a external drive with s3 as a backend… does that exist?

1 Like

I haven’t used it, but sounds a lot like the BMD Cloud Storage hardware. I’m not certain, but I think you can use it w/o Resolve as well.

They have some simple SSD rackmount and some other options.

Seems to only work with Dropbox and G-Drive drive though. Would be nice if they could do S3

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccloudstore

its still a NAS , so you are forced to have 10Gbit NICs and all that, I would want something that functions as a DAS :stuck_out_tongue:

Orherwise yes there are a lot
of qnap/asustor nvme 10gbit options out there

Been a while since I looked but you used to be able to hook up to them over Usbc.

From the site:

Connect via USB-C for Quick File Access

Modern laptop computers are so thin, they often don’t even have an Ethernet connection! That means you need an adapter to connect to an Ethernet network. These adapters are annoying and they make it harder to just plug your computer into the storage to grab a file. Blackmagic Cloud Store has a USB-C to Ethernet adapter built in and you can access it simply by plugging your computer into the USB-C port on the store. Plus USB-C cables are much nicer than stiff Ethernet cables! Once you have connected the Blackmagic Cloud Store USB-C connection to your computer, you have an Ethernet connection to the store! That means you can just plug in to quickly grab files when you need them urgently!

So… almost