Flame Linux Hardware - sanity check

I’m close to pulling the trigger on this hardware config. In essence:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5955WX
NVIDIA RTX A6000
256GB RAM
2 x 8TB M.2 Gen4 SSDs (striped RAID 0 - framestore)
512GB SSD system disk

I know @ALan mentioned he didn’t rate the Lenovo and recommended the Dell - the only issue is Dell is madly overpriced in the UK. Barebones (no GPU, RAM or framestore) the Dell 7865 is £3,093.54 exVAT, an almost identical spec Lenovo P620 is £2,060 exVAT.

The alternative is I build a machine from scratch - I’m happy to do that, I’ve custom built my last 4 workstations but was rather hoping to avoid the day of two of pain that comes with it. The fact the Lenovo is Autodesk certified too is hopefully also going to make my life easier as I need to hit the ground running on this job.

Does this spec make sense? Are striped M.2’s ok as a framestore? Any advice gratefully recieved.

I can’t speak to specifics on the exact requirements, but my experience has been great with Lenovo.

1 Like

I believe my tests showed an almost 2x render speed improvement from the Dells I had. Not a scientific study.

2 Likes

I use striped M2’s in my hackintosh and get great performance from them.

1 Like

I own 3 Lenovos and love em. I’ll buy more. I get a lotta crap for doing a commercial for Lenovo, but have never been let down and have paid for all the machines myself and even been fortunate enough to give one away.

3 Likes

3 Likes

The cost of entry to Linux has gone down so much now, it’s hard to not justify it over a Mac, IMO.

2 Likes

Why stripe 2 NVMEs together when you can stripe 8? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whoa. Randy running NSA.

2 Likes

Well, your dell was end of life.

Like me!

1 Like

Go to bed

West coast day starting now. You go to bed.

@Ally_Burnett you may not need that much ram. Unless you’re doing some mad, caching of thousand frame clips in PFTrack, 128 is good. Just be sure that no matter what you do you fill all eight slots with RAM. That will give you the best performance increase.

2 Likes

Thanks all, appreciated. I’m going to be working at 12Kx12K with some very heavy comps - i know the GPU will be doing most of the heavy lifting but I figure you can never have to much RAM and it’s a relatively tiny cost in the greater scheme of things. Also, Autodesk recommend 256GB with this config.

1 Like

What Lenovo is that? Looks different to the P620 case.

Hah - serves me right for looking on my phone - hadn’t figured the scale out! Ignore!

1 Like

I guess it would work out cheaper - What M.2 adapter do you use?

1 Like

Highpoint 7540.

1 Like

Minecraft Servers for me and my kids.

And pron.

1 Like