I've been using flame for decades and I still don't know

you’d think it wouldn’t be too hard to make them all consistent. But at least they’re consistently off

2 Likes

I learned to read with Winnie the Pooh, so it’s always colour for me. I gave up on centre after a nasty interaction with a third grade teacher who told me it was wrong, despite the fact that the street that crossed mine was Centre St.

2 Likes

i just clicked Heart on every one of these… Especially the rotate to flip or flop. Its like i always choose the wrong way. I SHOULD learn the hotkey for slipping and truncating clips, but i always do it manually

1 Like

– how to quickly see an alpha or other AOV on a clip in the timeline workspace. currently i have to pull the elements into the Effects tab or batch to see other channels. It should be a pull down menu in any viewer window!

– When i’m searching in other projects on my machine or on the network for a clip or element and i have to drill down into every single reel in every desktop to see if there’s something sitting there. it would be so nice if there was some indication of clips lurking on reels when viewing via the media hub

1 Like

I have no idea why, but sometimes when I drag a mux out into my batch and shift+ctrl drop it into my node tree, a little red arrow will appear and then delete my source clip. It’s usually when I’m working quickly and have no time to decipher what the hell has happened!

4 Likes

It always fascinates me where the difference in English and american english spelling comes from. You’d think that as american english is a derivative of english they’d be the same.

1 Like

Not so surprising when you consider that the conversion started when most of the population was functionally illiterate. What facinates me is that it is one of the worlds more complex languages in usage and spelling, yet is spoken as either a first or second language in most parts of the world.

I’m going to get naked

• I don’t know exactly what is perspective (versus bicubic) surface for. It’s something to simulate a more 3D space for tracked surfaces. Or whatever. No idea. I vaguely remember some video from flame learning channel. I´ve used it 0 times.

• The track module is a constant struggle for me. Especially when I have to fix tracking errors, deleting or fixing keyframes, references, offsets… Everything becomes chaotic and 99% of the time I prefer to reset and start again. One thing I have never known is how to set a new manually key (shifting the image) gesturally, with the pencil. I’ve been doing it for years using the X and Y shift values manually. And hell yes, it’s one of “those” that if works backwards.

• I completely forgot what the arrows are for in the 3d histogram ( the ostrich egg :crazy_face:) of 3Dkeyer. I remember some explanation when I learned flame (back in 2000) but I forgot it the next day. And I love the 3D keyer, I use it oftenly. But I don’t know what I’m missing.

• I confess that I am unable to calculate the proper offset using the slip value in the mux node when I have to translate changes in layers based on changes in the timeline edit to my current batch. If I know that a segment has been delayed 34 frames, do I have to move it 34 frames? 33? 35? What is the value to set in a node mux? 34? -34? 33? 35? -33? -35?. OMG .It’s a nightmare.

7 Likes

Smoke keys SHIFT-M to display the alpha on a multichannel clip.

2 Likes

which version of Flame and which version of smoke hotkeys @johnag - cant get it to work here on 2021

Haven´t been using flame for decades, only 7 years, but some of my favorite everyday errors are:

• hitting “m” in the node bin to find the mux node, only to realize it´s one of the fixed ones on the left

• accidentally painting on a frame instead of a sequence

• when tracking a gmask, accidentally saving the tracking data in the gmask node instead of the axis upstream

• never knowing how to do a morph in the distort node, looking it up, doing it step by step, and forgetting it immediately after

6 Likes

I have never heard of ADO or K-Scope, Tim! Care to elaborate or link to some info? I am a nerd for vfx history and this seems like something i want to spend a night reading about :nerd_face:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ampex+digital+optics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-au&client=safari#

1 Like

Fascinating to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9-xhojK4uQ

Some things have changed, some things are still the same. We get so used to all the things you can do offline, but if you work on live switching things are a lot different, even these days.

2 Likes

@TimC I think I got something for you on this one! I do this too, but I’ve discovered the mystical “Hierarchy” button some time ago and I’ve never looked back. Really improved my Media Hub experience. In the Projects tab, try switching from Single Level to Hierarchy and look at the projects that way. It gives you a really nice view of the project that displays a lot of info at once and you can twirl things open and closed without digging too deep.

Highly recommend if you haven’t used that one!

hierarchy

3 Likes

And dont forget that if you hold down the option/alt key when you open a folder with subfolders inside then they will all open

2 Likes

I had no idea! So cool! Thanks for sharing @johnag

Yeah and it also works in the media list

https://www.google.com/search?q=Grass+Valley+Group+K-Scope&sca_esv=c164048a9d94891b&source=hp&ei=_FT4ZfvcLr38ptQPlK2PsAo&iflsig=ANes7DEAAAAAZfhjDDvHCv1ci-Hm0ynlTuG1zWb_MTLw&ved=0ahUKEwj7yrf2h_6EAxU9vokEHZTWA6YQ4dUDCBc&uact=5&oq=Grass+Valley+Group+K-Scope&gs_lp=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-kB&sclient=gws-wiz

1 Like

Thank you John! Thank you, Tim! Thank you, Jan! This is gold :partying_face: