Linux, taking the leap, general thoughts

I run my flame on an imac today and for me its just great, access to adobe suit, davinci, everything works, great for client viewing and quick fixes.
BUT, i’ve lately been running into heavier and heavier batches as i start doing more of my heavy compositing in flame, previously i’d do it with nuke on my PC.

So, Im starting to look into the linux direction.
My thinking is at great setup would be to keep using my imac in the client suit. And have a separate machine with linux with som form of shared flame workspace setup. Where if i get heavy compositing work i could remote into the linux machine and do the compositing and rendering via the imac.

Now Im not really tech savy, no XP with linux and or what gear that would be best suited.

Curious if anyone has a similar setup and would like to share som wisdom :slight_smile:

1 Like

This has been discussed in depth on this forum. Searching for P620 will give you best hits about this. It’s the Lenovo Threadripper platform which is the best bang for buck currently.
We use the Linuxbox as our main system with Icydock (internal raid of SSDs). Secondary system is Mac which uses the same framestore over 10gig.
@Jack can help you set it up and maintain it for you.

1 Like

I took the Linux plunge at home recently. I set up Rocky Linux on an HP Z8. The setup of the OS and Flame was very easy and straightforward. I have it connected via 10gb Ethernet to. Synology NAS. I usually run it directly, but I’ve started running HP remote central on my Macbook pro to connect to the Z8 and it’s like I’m directly connected, but with the added benefit of everything Mac on the same box.

@Sinan is right. You can hire @Jack to help you set it up if you have any reservations about Linux.

2 Likes

I’ll add one more thing that I leaned from @randy. I have my synology mounted on the Linux box inside of a folder called /Volumes. BOOM…now I have identical paths on Mac and Linux.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s a great tip.

Another Nas option is qnap…I’ve had a 12 bay for several years now with no issues. I did have help setting it up from a reseller though, so not sure if other options are more user friendly.

1 Like

The new 59xx series of Threadripper Pros are finally in stock at Lenovo.com.

1 Like

The threadripper platform, while being the most feature rich platform, is not the best bang for buck. Unless you need the PCIe lanes or onboard IPMI, you can get similar performance from zen3 ryzen for a lot cheaper.

Although as Randy has pointed out, latest gen threadripper pro is available so that might change the equation… (Are my eyes deceiving me? are they currently only allowing up to 5965WX?)

1 Like

Most of us would argue that the P620s are the most bang for your buck out of the autodesk certified / new /oem builds from the big 3.

But yes, if you build your own then you can do it cheaper.

And yes currently I only see up to the 5965s. Rumor has it there is a motherboard shortage globally and as they become available they’ll probably add some more options up to the 5995.

Thanks Randy! Definately looking into one of these. How is flame when it comes to single core vs multi threading, iow would you say going for fewer faster och more cores?