“Must have” books for compositors

I’m an avid reader and I was wondering if y’all have any “must have”s for a compositor. I can kick it off and say three of my favorites are:

Ron Brinkmann “The Art and Science of Compositing”

David K. Lynch “Color and Light in Nature”

James Gurney “Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter”

4 Likes

“How To Draw” and “How To Render” by Scott Robertson. The former taught me more than I knew there was to know about perspective and the latter finally made me understand what ambient occlusion is.

3 Likes

I second Ron Brinkmann @BrittCiampa one of the first compositing books I read when I was starting out.

I recently read and really enjoyed “Color correction handbook : professional techniques for video and cinema by Alexis Van Hurkman

3 Likes

Adding these to my Amazon cart. Thanks for the suggestion! I love a good source book, there’s just those moments where you go back and read about shadows or three point perspective and someone explains it in a really straightforward way that I find incredibly soothing.

1 Like

I really dig the color correction handbook as well! Really nice overviews of color workflows overall, that I think are 100% applicable to flame work.

1 Like

The VES Handbooks are good. And Cinefex still rules.

2 Likes

I used to tell aspiring flame ops to read Starship Troopers. I haven’t read it in a LONG time. Given Heinlein’s general views on things, it’s likely a horrible book–I honestly can’t remember and am fairly dense when it comes to subtext–but the one thing I took away from the book was that it was more important to make A decision than the right one.

Instead of recommending that book, may I suggest everyone play “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice” (available on PS4, Xbox, and PC) and absorb Sword Saint Isshin’s mantra: “Hesitation is defeat.”

2 Likes

I’ve definitely enjoyed the VES handbook. And I had never heard of this “Cinefex” before, but I’m gonna give it gander!

1 Like

Oh you are in for a treat! Cinefex, for me, is the gold standard of what professional trade magazines are all about.

1 Like

From the files. Thought it had gone missing for a sec but it’s from before they put a spine on the mag! An antique!

4 Likes

I mean, come on!

4 Likes

Those are not in chronological order, Quinn. Cancel your weekend plans!

4 Likes

Brinkmann’s book is very dry. I had to read it for my shake course many years ago. It used to put me to sleep.
What I’ve found a lot of worth in are these two books.

3 Likes

I once read a long time ago , Digital Matte Painting Techniques and found that really helpful

2 Likes

My kids get to 'em first.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add to this thread, to bump it, but also to say that I got a copy of the VES handbook recently and it is an excellent read.

1 Like

My Library includes:

Tim Dobbert “Matchmoving: The Invisible Art of Camera Tracking”
Ron Brinkmann “The Art and Science of Compositing”
Zwerman, S: VES Handbook of Visual Effects"
Richard Williams " The Animator’s Survival Kit"

1 Like

anyone know anything about these books?

Also, i am very jealous about all the old CINEFEX Magazines <3
If anyone is willing to sell a few of them, let me know!! -

I had Digital Compositing for Film and Video second edition (I think) like 15 years ago. Fresh out of film school reading about the nuts and bolts of compositing blew my mind. I was teaching myself after effects at the time and it really helped me grasp a lot of concepts. No idea how it would hold up today though, I lent it to a friend and never got it back :grinning:.

1 Like