OT: pitch shifted mixes mystery?

@ytf Yes. A challenge coin. Send me a mailing address!

send it to @aaronneitz . I set it up, but he returned it with aplomb.

1 Like

A year later, we have the same client, Pitch shifted audio deliverables +.8, -.8, +2.4

I don’t have the bandwidth to care. But has anyone seen this in the commercial space?

Obviously we can bill extra for each wacky export… so fine whatever

I wonder if it’s some marketing psychology technique to make the spot stand out more

Pitch shifts are used for internal marketing purposes only.
So some special people have marketing analzsis phones, that track everything they are listening to all day.
(Like the boxes some had behind their TV for target group analyzing.)

The only problem is, the phone doesn’t know on what platform you are be in contact with the ad, and here the pitch shifts are coming into place. Having the spot for TV with a shift of 0, Youtube with like .8% and the OLV TV box with -.8%, suddenly it is possible to difference these, track that down and see where the spot is most present for each target audience.

2 Likes

Wow, this thread took an Orwellian turn…

2 Likes

OMG. For reals?

What was it called 20 years ago… something about blanking veil encoding where they code encode some metadata in the NTSC picture that could report back to HQ. Did it for a Verizon spot that had 100+ different 1-800 phone numbers/deliverables. If you squinted you could kind of see it, like every other field was a little off.

Yes, did some bigger delivery with a full list on which pitch they need for which platform.

But no worries, the people, who have these phones, know of this and are payed for their participation in market research. So no evil puplic tracking :smiley:

2 Likes

that was veil encoding.