Rocky Linux NTFS volumes or not

Hello Logik minds,

I am totally new to Flame and as I am getting my system ready to try Flame on my box I have few questions.

As my drives are NTFS is the support in Linux and kernel version used in Rocky 8.5 taking full advantage of speed from those NTFS raids? Or should I use native linux format for Flame stones?

I have 3 raids all raid 0 :slight_smile: Most are custom built by me LSI cards and spinning enterprise drives around 1000MB/sec on those and then I have few 6000-7000 MB/sec drives pcie4.

I have read that write speed on NTFS volumes in Linux ntfs-g fuse is slow on kernels past some number I cant recall. Read is fast but write suffers. Will have to test this under Rocky Linux to find out.

Also I have a question about updates for OS. Do you ever update anything or just ignore OS updates? What about installing different desktop env. other than gnome?

1 Like

Aww shucks I never responded. Sounds like you know more than most but here’s what I might be able to contribute.

Don’t update anything. Most leave Gnome, but then again, we’re used to KDE so we’re not exactly thrill seekers in that department.

@finnjaeger loves him some Mint if I’m not mistaken.

How you gettin on @filmtools ?

so i usually run cinnamon on all my workstations, i dont like gnome, and i absolutely HATE kde with a passion.

regarding ntfs… no flipping idea :smiley:

cinnamon, mint, basil, thyme, coriander, whatever.

1 Like

Hi @filmtools

Did you decide what to do about formatting your drive to NTFS?

I have a duel boot machine and it would be super handy to be able to pull data between the two machines. But being completely new to flame I’m not sure if having my framestore on and NTFS file system is a bad idea?

@Kia for now I kept them as NTFS but I think the write speed suffers as I said compared to having them Linux formated. It is ok for now while I am learning flame and its not for production yet. What have you done?

1 Like