Running Flame as normal-user or admin

Hello forum,

Is it recommended to use Flame 2021.2 as normal macOS-user or does the Flame-op needs to be member of the Admin-group (macOS) ?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank’s!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Flame should be able to run as a normal mac os user. If there were any issues, its probably related to permissions which can be fixed quite painlessly.

Obviously for installation it will need admin rights.

Thanks
Grant

So in this line of questioning what about a Linux based flame and open directory/ldap?

What’s the word on “regular” Linux users @La_Flame?

I’ve been running Flame under a normal/standard Linux user account for years and it works just fine for me. I don’t let the installers create different accounts for different versions - I just keep a regular user account so it always has all my files and preferences stored. It’s not an OD or LDAP account but I would assume that should work as well but I’ve never tried.

Same thing on the Mac side. No admin, standard user account for running Flame (and everything else).

1 Like

Hi @cnoellert,

With Linux Flame 2021.2.1, Flame makes its own user or as @mattriley says you could make your own but it does not automatically set up all the bits you need for your Flame. (like access to the Function keys etc.). There are scripts I believe to make it happen but it’s a bit of a manual process.

You are very welcome to log a feature request on the Flame Feedback Portal to use any Linux users with Flame.

Thanks
Grant

Ok some more facts:

• an external Samsung SSD is used as Flamestore (HFS+)

• even browsing the project-folder structure in MediaHub (Browse for Files) is not possible as normal user

• directory path of the footage has to be entered “manually” or pasted from Finder into the virutal keyoard(Text Input) of flame. After done that, moving forward and backwards in the folder structure is possible. After reboot the path has to be re-entered :frowning:

• but footage in the project folder is never shown (as normal user (VFX)

In order see if there are error-mesages i started from from cli:

vfx@mac-admin Flamestore % /opt/Autodesk/flame_2021.2/bin/startApplication

Part of the log/output shown in Terminal:

Output log to: ‘/opt/Autodesk/log/slateDiskCacheCleaner.log’.
Registered thread ‘CoAsyncLogger’ [ 123145515409408 ]
Connected to DLmpd on 127.0.0.1 as 0:0
Connected to DLmpd on 127.0.0.1 as 0:20
Registered thread ‘CoDiskCache Cache Clean-Up Thread’ [ 123145516470272 ]
Error scanning directory: Could not scan ‘/Volumes/Flamestore/’: Operation not permitted.

Question:
Would it be helpful if I would paste the permissions of the footage-folder as Admin and as user VFX?

Thanks for your feedback!
Joe

That sounds pretty strange. But not completely unexpected running off and ssd.

What are your permissions on your framestore? (ls -l /Volumes/ in terminal)

ls -l /Volumes/
total 256
drwxrwxr-x 12 root admin 476 Apr 13 10:21 Flamestore
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 170 Sep 22 2020 InstallESD
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1 Apr 28 19:12 Macintosh HD → /
drwxrwxr-x 6 root admin 192 Feb 9 20:59 Untitled
drwxrwxr-x 7 root admin 306 Feb 8 11:07 Untitled 2
drwxrwxrwx 1 imac-admin staff 131072 Dec 31 1979 VFX-Work
imac-admin@imac-admins-iMac ~ %

2 posts were split to a new topic: Error scanning directory