Technicolor merges MPC advertising into the Mill

Chickens coming home to roost, it seems… Mis-used this phrase, realizing it has negative connotations… Once the acquisition was made, I think we were all wondering when the eventuality would happen…

“As one market-leading brand, the expanded studio will focus on three core business offerings within the Advertising & Brand Experience markets: Visual Effects, Creative Production and Brand Experience.”

https://www.technicolor.com/news/mill-and-mpc-advertising-unite-under-mill-brand-create-worlds-largest-vfx-studio-advertising

“It’s an exercise in addition, and we hope to keep every single person in the business," Mandel said.

3 Likes

It’s been a looooong time coming me thinks, this transition. I sincerely hope that it means good things for the thousands of employees across the globe.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Hopefully so, indeed.

1 Like

Rather than combine the two units in New York, they can put up one of those lasers like Psyop used to use, and beam stuff back and forth across Broadway.

4 Likes

Or a shark, with a friggin laser beam on it…

7 Likes

Where do you think the word Beam came from?

1 Like

Ha ha ha. I remember when Beam started. They proudly showed me a whole rack which contained 1TB of storage and said that’s Beam right there. It was seriously impressive at the time.

1 Like

I don’t see how this is a good thing at all but whatever, just waiting for technicolor to get acquired then it will just be sold off again my guess is that its like a game of hot potato and they are trying to restructure their debt to appeal to whomever that will buy them but what the hell do I know best of luck to all of them but I am glad I didn’t stick around to see how this will play out, but if they had shark laser beams I might had.

3 Likes

My gut says there will inevitably be a consolidation period to “cull redundancies”, but yeah… Hoping for the best for all involved. Didn’t see two commercial production holdings under the same “roof” doing the same type of work staying separate indefinitely… It’s like owning a Denny’s and an IHOP on either side of the street from each other.

@johnt’s quote out says it all… The operable word being “hope”…

Fingers crossed for the creatives and producers. Maybe some spinoff companies on the horizon…

Outside of whatever corporate bullshit is likely to happen with this or any other merger (cos let’s face it, corporations gonna corporate), I’m grateful that VFX is doing well as an industry and that many smaller and more interesting shops keep cropping up and attracting amazing talent.

1 Like

There already are: Rascal, Parliament, Selected Works, Black Kite, No.8 and more coming. Interesting times.

3 Likes

Oh definitely… Was thinking more along the lines of “more coming”. Interesting times, for sure…

1 Like

The merger began what…almost 6-7 years ago? Its not a surprise. I mean, it doesn’t exactly make sense to own multiple companies that compete with each other, underbid each other, despise each other fiercely, have 100% separate everything, don’t share IP, don’t share IT, It wasn’t exactly a bangin’ business model. At least thats how it felt when I was there.

From a business perspective I understand it. Doesn’t make it any easier on the staff though They have a tough enough job as it is. Hopefully they get all the things they need to make their lives a better place.

2 Likes

I’m surprised it taken this long. Here in New York they have 2 expansive and very expensive pieces of real estate that are virtually empty of personnel.

1 Like

I’d imagine the pandemic brought issues like that directly to the forefront and lit a raging inferno when they looked at the books.

2 Likes

I always assumed the idea was like,

Client 1: “I think we should go with the Mill”

Client 2: “No way, our last experience with the Mill was rough. I’m thinking we mix it up and go MPC this time?”

Client 1: “Brilliant”

Technicolor: :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Same here in London, 2 very large buildings, but The Mills building is now the commercials division, with MPC’s building film / episodic.