The Visual Effects Crisis

9 Likes

The link goes toward the end of the piece, but the whole thing is worth listening to.

It’s for me hard to offer up meaningful thoughts on this. The system is fucked by design. Studios take all the money they can, then shop owners take as much as they can and the end result is workers getting as fucked over as the above folks can possibly manage.

This applies to every industry, not just ours. The exploitation of labor is the engine of the modern world. Rail workers forced to work without paid leave, deliver drivers pissing in bottles, retail workers being forced to work random days. It’s all designed around sending wealth upwards, maximizing returns.

I hope Ursula Le Guin is right,

Books aren’t just commodities; the profit motive is often in conflict with the aims of art. We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable – but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings. Resistance and change often begin in art. Very often in our art, the art of words.

9 Likes

On that subject: a rather thick book that aims to describe a different way for society. I haven’t got through it all yet but have enjoyed it so far.

2 Likes

Aren’t you just describing what some call freedom?

1 Like

Big points for the LeGuin quote.
She was crazy sharp and the quote hits the mark.

1 Like

I like to think of it as access to freedom.

1 Like