Will there ever be a VFX artists union? Should there be one?

Title sums it up. Marvel stuff brings it to the forefront. How does the Flame community feel about this topic?

1 Like

I would have loved for their to be one, but at this point I think it’s too late.

Considering all the professions in the entertainment industry that ARE Union, it’s ridiculous there isn’t a VFX Union.

1 Like

Yeah, there should be a union, especially in the USA due to the criminal shitshow that is US healthcare. Even without that, some protection against all sorts of employment bullshit that we all deal with would be huge.

unions are great.

:fist:

Regarding, “but then companies will just go overseas”: they’re gonna do that anyways because companies are run by capitalist shitheads who mindlessly care about numbers going up. Insofar as they can outsource labor to somewhere with 1/10the cost, they will do that. They’re already doing that. At least with a union you’ll get some severance out of it, as well as some pressure from other unions to keep the work local.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too late. It’d be interesting to look into the history of unions in film and figure out how long it took them to unionize. I mean, how long have motion pictures been around? 140 years? And the animators at Disney first striked in what…1941?

2 Likes