Upgrade ACES

@doug-walker - great to see you here!

while we have you… any ideas if the next versions of ACES will help solve some of the problems we encounter when trying to get a client’s logo into ACES colorspace from srgb/rec709 without getting mangled? I’m thinking mostly of graphics we receive that include white but i know ACES is not kind to many graphics or colors…

Hi Tim!

There is an active ACES working group that is focused on improving the Output Transforms for ACES v2. The topic of inverting display-referred colors is definitely something that comes up a lot and is on their radar, but that group is still fairly early in its work. My guess is that the process will work somewhat better and will offer some intermediate options between the two main approaches available today (interpret as a texture or interpret as video).

Doug

Doug thanks for the reply. Is there @La_Flame tutorial lurking somewhere on youtube for current work arounds that you mention (interpret as texture or interpret as video)? This is the most common thing i run up against at MPC and very frequent question asked on this forum… up until now i have been hacking it together with a combo of “untonemapped_sRGB_to_ACES” under the Interchange category with some CC afterwards to nudge it in the correct direction. i find that approach maps whites to way more manageable levels and gets my colors *somewhat in the ballpark of the original graphics…

thanks again

Hi Tim,
I don’t have a YouTube link for you, but the two approaches I was referring to are:

1. Interpret Rec.709 as a texture
    Use a Colour Mgmt node set to Input Transform with the Input Space set to Rec.709 video and the Working Space set to ACES2065-1 (or whatever similar space is being used). This maps white in the video to 1.0 in the scene-linear working space but the colours don’t match exactly in the viewport.

2. Interpret Rec.709 as video
    Use a Colour Mgmt node set to View Transform with the Invert button toggled, the Display set to Rec.709 video, the Tagged Colour Space set to ACES2065-1 (or similar), and the View Transform set to “From Rules” to match your default viewing rule in your preferences, or manually set to some other view, typically “ACES 1.0 SDR-video”. The Rec.709 graphic should look as intended in the viewport but white now will be about 16 (or similar) based on what is necessary to invert the View Transform.

I know you’re familiar with both of these, but I list them in case anyone else was wondering. As you know, there are pros/cons to each. I agree your method of using the first approach and then nudging with a bit of colour correction to match the desired look better is a good way of doing it. Ideally the ACES 2.0 working group would try to produce a more automated way of doing that.

best,

Doug

5 Likes