Using 3D Path to Make an animated ribbon

Hi Gang. Doing a little R&D here in Action and I need to add an animated ribbon that is moving through my scene. I would usually use a sweep in Maya, but I was hoping to keep everything in Action for ease of use with change, and not having to use both programs. I recall when the 3D Path tool was first introduced, there was a hack for using type and scaling to “sweep” the geometry along the curve. Is that still the only method for something like this?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ugh, I wouldn’t predict that you’re going to have fun days ahead. 3D path in Action is not very easy to use. It needed one more cycle of development. I just 2d hack it instead.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m seeing that very quickly. Too bad really, having everything in my batch setup would be so NICE. I think I’m heading back to Maya. I’m still going to try and texture and light in Action, but we’ll see.

Could you use a long thin plane input into Action, then deformed using a Deform mesh to give some animated ripples?

2 Likes

Or extended bicubic keyframing

2 Likes

Or use a 3dShape extruded out using the depth setting, then warped using the scale and rotation settings. I think you can use an open spline to extrude a flat shape.

1 Like

Yeah, I would go somewhere between @GPM and @Lightningad and create a long extended bicubic strip that covers your general path. Instead of animating the ex-bicubic I would use a displacement map to add secondary details.

Maybe even add a deform node. You can use the deform node with a “Free” axis and animate its position along your strip. This would give you some more local control…

1 Like

This is a good idea. Though I’ve never found Deform to be easy or good.

1 Like

I built a bit of an Frankenstein solution. Houdini for the Sweep shape, exported as an FBX, then animated diffuse maps for the texture. Turns out the “Ribbon” shape was a lot more complex than just a flat plane, so I needed a full 3D modeler to get it done.

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Im one actuon id move it left to right or whatever then bend it in another action exetended bicubics to get the path.