What exactly does Preferred Format do?

I’ve tested and tried different configurations but haven’t seemed to crack what Preferred Format does in Project Settings. Anybody know what precisely is going on under the hood?

From the user guide:

The settings in the Cache and Renders tab are used when the application writes to its managed storage, for example when:

• Caching media. On demand (contextual menu > Media) or on import (MediaHub > General > Clip Options).
  • Rendering a Timeline FX, a clip using a Tools module, or when using a Render node in Batch or Batch FX.
  • Creating virtual media such as coloured frames.
  • Creating proxies. On demand (contextual menu > Media) or on import (MediaHub > General > Clip Options).

Preferred Format

Select Uncompressed to store rendered media as DPX or OpenEXR. Select Legacy Configuration for customized uncompressed configurations. Select a compressed format to control storage capacity and bandwidth use. It does not affect CPU-bound performance. Preferred formats are all available with or without RAW. RAW formats have only DPX and RAW, non-RAW ones have DPX, OpenEXR, and RAW. As a rule of thumb, use the RAW formats, unless exporting material as OpenEXR using linked publish.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/FLAME/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-07E8517A-75E0-4979-B226-22D03A941060

1 Like

Yup, got that. But when I choose 4444, for example, and import stuff, and cache it, I don’t see a smattering of .movs on in my framestore, and my archive sizes aren’t smaller.

So…?

You don’t?
I think I’ve seen .movs in a framestore folder before, but I’m not entirely sure right now.

Archives are a different story, as they store everything fully uncompressed, at least to my knowledge.
I wish that wouldn’t be the case though.

1 Like

Oh wait…I actually do see .movs on the framestore…but the archiving thing…argh. that’d be nice.

Yes. It’s one of the reasons I almost exclusively work with externally managed media these days. No caching, no wasted space, slim archives, happiness.

I know if you pick one of the prores formats it only applies the compression to files of that bit depth or below. So float files will stay as EXRs.

1 Like