Which 3D tracking software is best

Dont forget Blender 3D Tracker Module

• Multiplatform.
  • Really good solver
  • Proxy generation similar to 3DE
  • Lens Distortion Solver (Including Nuke’s Values)
  • Stabilized Clip output and STMap export
  • Texture extraction
  • Python
  • Blender toolset
  • Free
7 Likes

I was just re-looking at all three again.

I noticed that 3D Equalizer content across all channels hasn’t seen much sign of life since late '21. With some settled tech (like Primatte or Neat this isn’t unexpected), but for 3D tracking that may not be a good sign. As much as Syntheyes gives me bad vibes, it may still be best choice of the three right now.

3DE is so alive and well, everyone that does professional matchmove - that I know of- has switched to it, its the de-facto standard for high end matchmove, they have matchbox nodes for lensdistorion and updates are often and good with extensive scripting support.

Boujou takes me back though, that stuff is loong dead.

We are super pragmatic but with tracking we follow a different strategy, we use the tool that will solve anything we throw at it, and that is something I can only say from 3DE (this is simply my experience and should be taken with a pitch of salt, not an expert on Syntheyes or PFTrack)

But I can go to the client confident if the DoP brings a crazy lens (anamorphic vintage uncoated rehoused zoom lens), I can profile the lens and track it.

Our needs are CGI mostly so we really need a power horse, hence we use only 3DEqualizer.

I hope it heps.

3 Likes