Why are Flame archives still so ridulously bloated?

Sorry for being dumb. I don’t get it. Can you post screenshots?

You are not alone in having problems with some batch setups @GPM @johnt @digitalbanshee

I have seen this error on a number of occasions. I find that if my save file gives this error then my batch iteration will work.

I have to have both types of saves for me to feel safe.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Publishing workflow AKA publish pipeline AKA unmanaged frametore AKA how to make smaller archives for those that don’t archive good

Agreed. Thank you!

2 Likes

What’s the difference between a tutorial and the answer to a question?

1 Like

I agree, although I would think that would be tough to administer.

I’ve started copying stuff like this into apple notes for later reference. Just like writing it down, i find taking the ten seconds to copy it helps me to remember.

Maybe in a few years I’ll have a big enough library to release the Logik Book of Secrets. I would publish it as a scroll. :rofl:

A tutorial shows you how to achieve something yourself…

an answer saves you all that bother!

2 Likes

The tips and tricks category exists.

Is there a way to isolate Chris’ post and put in in there?

We talk about how this place is a better repository for knowledge than the old FB, but if a comprehensive description of a stoneless
workflow is only found in a thread about the enormous size of archives, people will miss it.

Few people read about archives. One of the guys at the Mill used to email “LTO meeting: 4:30” and the joke was that meant to meet at the pub.

1 Like

Reading about archives is the juice that gets me out of bed in the morning. Like Al Pacino, “it keeps me sharp, on the edge, where I gotta be!”

3 Likes

In other words you like stories that vacillate between comedy and tragedy . . .

1 Like

???

1 Like

The first time I saw one of the “LTO meeting” emails I was excited to discuss archiving practices at the company. I am, above all other things, a dork.

2 Likes

At Post Perfect we would step out to look at 3D Comix.

1 Like

Not to drag this completely off topic, but…

When I was cutting showreels in Montréal, one year I was lucky enough to be located right next to the support department, separated only by a low partition and maybe some boxes of gear.

One late afternoon I headed over to ask for assistance with whatever I’d broken or misused, and one of the guys said “gosh I’d love to help you but I’m late for being drunk” and he shrugged into his coat and left. Lotta respect for that.

4 Likes

Back in the day I loved it when I was Flaming and a certain tape op tried to train me to be a tape op so that he wouldn’t have to do his job and could eat Doritos in the parking lot. He now runs the WB network.

6 Likes

You can bookmark it →

My thinking here is that if 50% of the truly useful shit is buried under, say, a rant from yourstruly about gen-x’s pathological fear of video compression, casual users are not going to be introduced to the good bits, and having some mechanism to extract truly great posts and put them somewhere that has bilking lights and says “the smart stuff is in here!” is useful to us all.

There should be a “hall of fame”

1 Like

There’s only so much we can do. I’m happy to moderate and structure things however we collectively decide it ought to be moderated and structured. But, the onus is on us individually too, right?

We build libraries but only a fraction of the taxpayers actually use them and an even smaller subset of humans use it to its full potential. Those that do, kudos. Those that don’t, well, have fun working late when needelessly when the information is out there.

Sure, I’ll order lunch for ya and put it on a nice tray and make sure your water is cold and in a clean glass with freshly sliced lemons as well…but do I really need to prechew your club sandwich for you too?

Right? Or are we growing and scaling and need to fundamental tweakage?

1 Like

Yeah, hard for me to say, but Chris’ post showed me that something like a library could be useful.

2 Likes