Why do we all feel like impostors?

Heya Randy, so I have thought about the traps and the techniques and methods to help, but not really the delivery, that’s kinda where I didn’t get to. Maybe my imposter syndrome actually stopped me in my tracks this time !

What do you think ? Would it be useful ? What could be a good approach ?

Here’s a crazy idea.

I am terrible at self care. I’ve spent the last year hunched over my chair or under my desk. I think my phone congratulated me the other day about only spending 4 hours on it. Yay me. I need a change. Someone to open up to and someone to hold me accountable. A self care coach. If I could find a few others that are in the same boat, would you be into meeting with our group once a week for 8 weeks? We all chip in, pay someone that knows a little bit more than us, and at the end of the 8 weeks we will have formed a small group of artists that we can grow with and learn from. And hold accountable. And make life long changes in behavior.

6 Likes

I’d be interested. Though, it will be hard to schedule - for all of us, I’m sure.

2 Likes

I am one of the “old guys” on flame. As I’ve been doing this for so long, it’s clear that I am at least somewhat successful at this.

I am supremely confident in all the things I know I can do well, which is many things.

Unfortunately, nearly every job has SOMETHING I’ve never seen before.

That’s why I am not confident.

I know someday, that fatal project will come and strike me down.

Hopefully not today. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Seriously.

I had a job recently that looked from the test effect to be super chill and right up my alley, but when I got the actual plates it turned into eight hours of panic and stress.

It’s always something.

3 Likes

@randy sent you a pm on here ! Not sure how well that works ?

It works great! Thanks for your patience. Crunch time.

:+1:t4::+1:t4::+1:t4: Good luck with the crunch !

We stopped calling it crunch time and started calling it “Riding the Bomb”

:musical_note: “We’ll meet again… Don’t know where… Don’t know when…”

5 Likes

Lol never related to anything more in my life.

2 Likes
1 Like

“Good students, on the other hand, constantly raise the bar for themselves as they focus on what they haven’t learned and mastered yet. This is why high achievers who have had a taste of the vast amount of knowledge out there are likely to suffer from what psychologists call imposter syndrome, the feeling that you are not really up to the job, even though, of all people, they are (Clance and Imes 1978; Brems et al. 1994).”

— How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers by Sönke Ahrens

ditto,…

1 Like

These feelings are not just with us, their with everybody, in every industry, for centuries, its humanity, if you didnt feel like that you would not be human, artistic people are slightly a different breed, use the right side of the brains, I believe, …these can be chefs, designers, dress makers, etc. There is no cure. I think key is to keep a healthy body, to keep your mind healthy, we spend a lot of time sitting, which is not good for the mind …and maybe smoke some weed,… ;).

But I think quotes like “bridging the gap between production and artist mindsets” is like bridging different people with different languages, ie Chinese and French, and unless the french guy spent time in China, its going to be harder to bridge , …some producers have used flame, … so easier to bridge, ,… I think this is common sense no? , …

I tell you what mentally kills me is when a client asks my availability say next monday, and I say ye im available and i dont hear back,… stuff like that… dealing with bookings, i find clients(post houses) have no etiquet when booking you or enquiring etc sometimes building up your expectations, and not letting you know the job is gone or they dont need you, …or freelance producers that are just using you to submit a bid to show their client, and put you up against 10-20 kids in india or somewhere in a sweatshop, even making you do a test, against 10 kids, so they get a bigger cut… shit like that just fucks me off!!, … there the ones that need counciling