Your home network

I’m using comcast business. I got a great deal on it because of covid and they won’t throttle your connection. Works great. Oh and ethernet cables, no wifi.

What’s the upload they offer?

Hey Randy,

Because I’m just remoting in to my flame at the office. I only need around 20mb uploads. But you could probably get gig speed uploads if need be.

1 Like

I’m trying to get gig upload speeds from them currently, only have 35 up. Boo.

I get 900 up and down… Feeling spoilt

1 Like

Yeah I only have 20mbps right now, which is fine for what I need. But if I were to go freelance it wouldn’t cut the mustard!

I’ve got Fios here in Brooklyn and I’ve been really happy with it. 25-35MB (not Mb, actual MB) up to Wasabi is the only real bottleneck, otherwise it’s crazy fast.

On the home network front, I was very surprised and excited to move into this place and find ethernet jacks on every wall, until I located the closet where they all terminated in a coil of un-labeled bare wires. And that was the day I learned how to crimp ethernet cables!

2 Likes

What’s the bandwidth equivalent of pouring a beer out for your homies? Downloading a 100 gig file and then deleting in? No! Uploading a 100 gig file then deleting it. Upload one for your homies will ya?

1 Like

Depends on the beer :slight_smile:

1 Like

framestore uses Nomachine, ive found it incredibly slower. Is it different on your home setup?

I jump between HP s remote viewer and no machine. Both have zero issues for me. Only gripe with no machine is the image looks softer than HP

Who’s running 10GbE at home? Anyone?

1 Like

me.
Proxmox server running a few VMs, including Unifi, Pfsense, etc. This lays VLANs for the entire house separating IOT devices, phones, tv, kids, wife, dog. Bunch of firewall rules. Work stuff is on separate vlan and 10gbe devices (computers and nas) go through a Mikrotik router (in Switch mode). So far so good.

Nice! What VMs are you running these days? And what UniFi gear ya got?

VMs are Psense, Unify, a couple of license servers and Kitsu. Only have one of those Unifi WF access points, only so I can broadcast several WF connections at once.

obviously,

1Gbit is like from the 1900s or something iirc, 25Gbit is bare minimum. single mode fibre runs throughout the house gotta be future proof

Me! I picked up a Qnap 10gb router.

how could you work on anything less is the big question?

1 Like