3D stabilization

Hi guys, is there any tutorial for negate the 3D stabilization?

I haven’t tried it in a while but this would probably involve duplicating the Action and placing it at the end of the flow graph. You would input your stabilised image instead of the original and I think you would negate the camera to reverse the stabilisation.

Thanks
Grant

1 Like

@ALan made a youtube video of one that I still have to refer to when I need to do a 3d stabilize. He made it a while ago, but the technique still works. It’s here:

7 Likes

This is such a genius little trick. 3D Stabilizing is an absolute crutch for me. I just spent the last little bit figuring this out.

1. Get a good camera track in Action.
  2. Once you get a Camera 3D, copy it twice.
  3. On one of those cameras, call it Stabilize. Set this camera to be the new camera you are looking through by selecting it on the Output/Camera menu.
  4. On the other camera, add a child Axis and Image of your background plate, call the surface Frustrum. And like in Alan’s video, shift to top view and move the Frustrum’s Axis back until it lines up with the field of view. Then, blow up the image like 300%. It really doesn’t matter.
  5. Then add a Projector to that 2nd camera, the one with the Axis and Image name Frustrum hanging off of it. Reset that Projector from its Default Z position from 500 to 0, and Light Link the Projector to the Frustrum Image.
  6. Go back to your Stabilizer camera, the one you are looking through . Now, mess with those keyframes, and your result will be 3d stabilized. Keep frame 1 to lock frame 1, for example, or average/jitter to your delight.
3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Grant… I think it would be helpful.

Yeah… I saw that. I will definitely try this. Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks Randy, it’s really amazing. Kudos to you :clap:

I just ran into this after doing a camera track for another artist who was looking to use the track for a 3d stabilization. I used syntheyes and exported as an action, however, it seems that syntheyes action export is always going to be a “target camera” as opposed to a “free camera.” The “target camera” doesn’t seem to work for this stabilization workflow, so exported as FBX and he was able to use the “free camera” that syntheyes exported. Obviously this has no bearing on anything if you’re doing the track inside action with the analyzer mono, but just a word to the wise if you’re tracking in syntheyes.

1 Like

@Britt you can always parent your free cam to the targeted camera and it will inherit all the targeted cam’s transforms.

1 Like

Great to know!!! Thanks @hBomb42!

Thanks for sharing Britt. Unfortunately I’ve never jumped into syntheyes. But I saw some videos, it’s really a good software for 3D tracking.