Accurate XML repos from Premiere into Flame, Fixed by Python

Specifications should be renamed to Suggestions. Sadly, in the end, end users still get screwed and miss bedtime.

I guess this is how some vendors understood the meaning of this word.

1 Like

On the other hand, if I followed my clients spec sheets with precisely what most of their documentation lists under SPECIFICIATIONS I don’t think I’d have shipped a spot in 2020. Obviously a Spec is a Spec but understanding real life uses and other ‘normal’ behavior is key to delivering a…ummm…deliverable.

4 Likes

:grinning:

1 Like

Flame Family products FCP XML import has been qualified based on FCP 7 requirements and the scaling parameters are conformed as expected. Premiere (and Resolve which seems to follow Premiere XML representation of this data) use different way to express this data. Feel free to open a defect with our support group.

1 Like

This is Awesome. This currently has been the number one issue I’ve been having. Just the down right improper handling of XML from Adobe Premiere is killing me. It wouldn’t be so bad, but it opens up perfect, no issues in resolve.

If anyone wants me to log the request with the support group, I would be happy to do it for them. Let me know if you want me to do it!

1 Like

Log it! Post the link to the doohickey thingy and we’ll upvote that!

1 Like

Perhaps as Premiere has become more and more of a dominant standard in the offline world, somehow interpreting the origin package of the xml and adjusting the parsing of the file accordingly could be a fix that satisfies the purist perspective as well as the practical one?

Will upvote the defect report of course, but in the spirit of discourse…

6 Likes

This is not an upvote thing. If you have issues with XML Conform from Adobe Premiere, please open support ticket with content we can use to validate the issue. We have seen many cases where even Premiere was not able to re-import its own files…

@Slabrie Slabrie Sorry, when you said “open a defect” I though you meant general improvement submission. I’m off to open a ticket with my XML now. I hope everyone else does too.

I guess the thing that is killing me here, is that Resolve reads the XML just fine most of the time. If no programs got it correct, then I would understand.

Thanks fo letting us know!

1 Like

No problem. Opening a ticket with Autodesk Support allows to gather all information required to investigate the issue. You issues is probably not the same as other users reporting problem here so I invite each of you to open ticket. More data we have and better w can solve the issues.

I will also fill a ticket for the spelling of my last name :wink:

2 Likes

This script helped me out so much that I pushed it a little further. It now works with keyframes and you can adjust the scale. It’s also avail able in the Logik Portal.

If you have multiple resolutions, just run the script for each different resolution and change the scale factor.

premiere_xml_ui.py (44.4 KB)

Thanks @MikeV!

2 Likes

Ted fixed another problem from Premiere - XMLs often had the wrong duration for stills, which throws off everything down the timeline. Here’s the updated script that will also be in the Portal soon:

premiere_xml_ui.py (46.7 KB)

3 Likes

I have another fix from @KuleshovEffect. This one fixes the durations of timewarps. For me, this eliminates the need to “wash” an XML through Resolve. Thanks Ted!

I’ve updated the Scale Factor to work better with decimal places.

Available here and on the Logik Portal:
premiere_xml_ui.py (46.7 KB)

Let us know if you run into any issues.

4 Likes

I’m sure my lack of luck in running this is something I’ve got wrong. I’ve tried the PremierXML.py without any problems but no luck with premiere_xml_ui.py. I did a chmod to make sure it would run. Here’s what I’ve used in terminal to run it. python premiere_xml_ui.py MyXML.xml It seems to just sit there, nothing is happening. What am I missing?

Hi,
You can run it through Flame!
If you open the Main Menu (lower right corner), you should see Adobe->Fix Premiere XMLs and that will launch the GUI for you.

By the way, I have a new version coming out soon where you’ll be able to right-click an xml in the MediaHub. I think that speeds up the process.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Figures. I always look for the complex first. Thanks, will give it a go.

Here’s the MediaHub Version I mentioned:

premiere_xml_mediahub.py (48.3 KB)

I think this is an easier way to use the script. A few other updates:

• It’s only visible when you right click and have a single .xml selected in the mediaHub.
  • The window doesn’t close automatically. This is helpful for running it multiple times.
  • It changes the name that will be imported. Good for running it multiple times and want to know the scale factor.
5 Likes

It’s just… awesome!!!
I’m facing hundrets and hundrets social media xmls which would be just a nightmare to conform natively.
100% eyemtach.

And this script… OMG! Once you figured out which scale you need to type in it’s nearly 99% perfect!
Thank you so much! <3

One question after all: Is there an option to select multiple xmls and fix them at once?

Edit: You told just the post before that only a single one can be selected… Well… Could there be an option to select more than one?

1 Like

I’m so glad it’s working!

The version you installed through the Portal, that John Geehreng built, only does one at a time.
I have a version you can run in terminal that will process every xml in the same directory as the script.
(As long as they all have the same resolution and scale multiplier.)
I could get that to you later in the day if that would help.

1 Like