Aces- color space's ARRI - Linear

Hi guys,
It was a bit confusing that the project Aces- color space’s ARRI - Linear - ALEXA Wide Gamut.

exrs plates and exrs back to , the colour space is set to:
ARRI - Linear - ALEXA Wide Gamut

the quicktimes
Codec: Apple Prores 4:2:2: 10-bit
Colourspace: ARRI - V3 LogC (EI800) - Wide Gamut

there is also 3d. How should I tag 3ds? Aces cg or ARRI - V3 LogC (EI800) - Wide Gamut

Thanks,
Deniz

3 Likes

Hiya Deniz. I’m not sure I’m following your question. Would you mind restating the question? Are you asking what to tag 3D elements as an import?

If so, you definitely need to ask your CG person what they are making for you.

Or what am I missing?

Thank you for your help @randy

I’m sorry to explain it more clearly.
We do a job with the Nuke team.

We were given information for Exr and project settings.

Aces project

exrs plates and exrs back to , the colour space is set to:
ARRI - Linear - ALEXA Wide Gamut

the quicktimes
Codec: Apple Prores 4:2:2: 10-bit
Colourspace: ARRI - V3 LogC (EI800) - Wide Gamut

CGI will come as aces cg

Project Aces, Exr - ARRI - Linear - ALEXA Wide Gamut- CGI Aces cg, all of these were a bit confusing.

How exactly should I work?
I’ve tried Acescg and Aces2065-1 before. I didn’t have a problem.
the current situation felt a bit confusing.

I’m opening an Aces project.
I tag EXR.

clrmgmt node;
Input color space: Scene_Linear Alexa WideGamut
Working Space : LogC (v3-8I800)- AlexaWideGamut

that’s how I worked. I compared my export with customer’s exr. i saw that there was no problem.

CGI will come as Aces cg. And I’m going to tag it as acescg too.
I’m not sure if these are working correctly.

Thanks,
Deniz

If you are working in ACEScg:

Set your viewing rule to “ACES TO SDR VIDEO (rec709 limited)” and allow “any scene linear or log” as the approved colorspaces for it.

—import plates and convert them from LogC to ACEScg using an input transform (in the color management node)
—cgi will already be in ACEScg
—convert Scene Linear Alexa Wide Gamut plates to ACEScg using an input transform.

Do all comp work and use an Input Transform to convert them either back to LogC or Scene Linear Alexa WG and export.

If you are working in Scene Linear Alexa WG the process is similar but you’ll use the “Alexa Rendering” viewing rule and convert all incoming media to Scene Linear AWG instead of ACEScg.

Workflow wise it doesn’t really matter which you pick as long as everyone uses the same system. This can become complicated when coordinating with Nuke. Doable, but communicating in Color Space is either easy (when all parties understand it) or hard (when some parties do not.)

4 Likes

@andy_dill Thank you so much for this wonderful help. Some things are clearer now.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear it.

1 Like