Action 3d Text + Colour Management confusion

Just curious if there would be a difference in using a gap fx input transform vs viewing transform to convert ACEScg to Rec 709 on export?

Not everything on the timeline was the same colourspace. Not all ACEScg.

It all looked the same because of the active colour management switching LUTs on the fly

Ok, so if everything on the timeline was ACEScg then input transform and viewing transform to Rec 709 as a gap fx on the timeline would produce the same result on export, is that correct?

I picked the transform that included the three options including broadcasr view as rec709. I can’t remember the exact name as I’m not in front of the mac.

Because it shouldn’t. Our whacky world of commercials is an outlier. A lot of times you need to know what it looks like but then send something to someone else without anything baked in so they can mess with it too.

As in, I work on the original camera negatives, using ACEScg, then send a sequence to a colorist. I don’t want to bake anything in for them. They want the originals. But, ACEScg gave me the ability to look at it correctly, but then send the camera originals to color. Or another studio. Or storage. Or DI. Or whatever. Commercials are a weird corner where it is often the case that we bake something in, but, the majority of the world only bakes in transforms for postings/viewables but needs to turn all that schtuff off to actually send actual files to someone else.

1 Like

But ain’t Flame a finishing tool used mainly for commercials?

As in i’m finished with this commercial…time to send it out!

Yeah, but, maybe the BLGs are being added somewhere else. Maybe you’re only doing shots and someone else has the grade so wants it raw. Its not black and white. Hence, the need to separately own how something looks to how something is.

1 Like

BLGs?

BLGs are Baselight for Flame plugins. It’s a full fledged Baselight setup that applies a Baselight Grade in Flame. I was trying to provide some insights as to why ACES doesn’t automagically do anything. Because, well, it shouldn’t.

My point is, yes, we involved in the finishing process but there are vast and unique use cases and cogs in that wheel. Most of the projects I work on require multiple artists at multiple stages of the image manufacturing process. So, Flame is involved in the finishing process, but, I’m not necessarily the last piece. And we use ACES to move things around and its super convenient. Hence, the need to separate its functions to be non-destructive.

Does that make any sense?

1 Like

It does make sense, thank you…but it doesn’t really answer the question.
I was asking why there is not an option to export using the very same system that allows you to playback a timeline with various colourspaces on a rec 709 monitor.

Theres probably a technical reason but to my non coding brain it seems an oversight to not do that.
But the suggestion of the gap layer has fixed it for me. Just have to remember to use it next time i work in a non legacy project!

1 Like

Keep dipping your toe in @Lightningad

It is frustrating at first because everyone tells you how good it is and how easy it is making everything these days. You look around to check that everyone else has the same confused look on their face that you do.

The more you learn the more you realise how much more there is to learn but it does get easier. Little by little.

Plus you can always fire your questions out here and see what comes back.