Anatomy of a Flame suite

Thank you :slight_smile: Just waiting for the mechanized blackout shades. Supply chain stuff has been fun.

1 Like

The only thing missing is a cat on the couch . . .

1 Like

It’s on order. Supply chain problems.

On a more serious note, what do you use for e-mail, slack, etc.

MacBook Air to the left of the left UI monitor.

@GPM Do you have any issues with the clients asking “which monitor is correct”

Not really. I’ll explain things to them but they just like the look and size of the 65” OLED so they’ve been happy with that. Not that I have loads of clients coming in these days…

My stock answer is “which one do you like”. And tell them thats the one they are getting.:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Perfect.

I tell the my sony oled is technically correct, but the big LG is a better reference for the home viewing experience. They both look the same anyway. I also tell them to never look at my GUI. Back in the day we made sure there was only one colour monitor in the room.

2 Likes

haha classic question. I used say that unless you’re going to go into everyone’s house and calibrate the TV, you aren’t ever going to get a clear answer about what people are seeing. Look on your iphone, laptop, this TV, the TV in the other room…they’re all going to be different. Yeah, the one with the scopes on it is the “technically correct” one for delivery, but all the other images are the way people will see it.

8 Likes

I like MOAR SCREENS.
This is in PC mode. I have a M1 Macbook Pro setup with docks etc for Flame work (soon one of them juicy Mac Studio’s too) Nice thing about the Dell ultrawides is they have built in KVM switches so you can toggle back and forth on the fly.

1 Like

are you doing mostly theatrical stuff or why did you choose a projector? looks cool btw!

2 Likes

Killer setup.

2 Likes

A fair bit, but actually mostly commercials. I have an OLED that I wheel in for those, and a ref monitor that I share between my suite and home. Most days the screen is for Netflix and youtube!

1 Like

Thanks man. Its a multi purpose space since I do a variety of work - mograph and cg, but also a lot of concept design hence the Dell Canvas for illustration. Flame is definitely the bedrock though, even for the motion design.

very cool, I also have a projector in my suite and clients love seeign their final “piece” on the big screen even if its not a amazing setup and the oled is certanly “better”

1 Like

Table Mountain outside?

2 Likes

Speaking of projectors, what would you recommend to put into a suite with a budget of around 3k

Back when I did TV commercials, I had my clients on a couch that looked at a TV that was 90 degrees to me. I could watch their reactions easily, and they always had me in profile. Everybody liked it. Occasionally the art director would come sit next to me at my desk, to look at the expensive broadcast monitor. It was way better than having my back to them all day.

1 Like