CG, 3D Flame

For the reflection map my goto choice is the “concrete” setting in Ivar’s (unconventionally named) TheNoise matchbox.

1 Like

i’ll have to investigate…thanks

“Back in the day” when flame’s particle system was new, it was a great alternative to cg for that type of stuff. It still is… sometimes - when time is of the essence and the amount of cg is minimal, and small on the screen. After all, one of we flame artists’ strengths is making sub-optimal stuff look good - and flame cgi is sub-optimal, when compared with modern renderers. It has it’s place, and it’s a lifesaver - but as discussed here, you really gotta know the point of diminishing returns.

I’ve personally been doing lots of c4d for the past few years… I’m not the best at it, but I’m passable - and with me and my team’s flame skills, we can make stuff that’s “passable” look awesome.

As others point out, blender and UE are getting to be very attractive. Both of them have awkward UI’s (in my opinion) but they both have real strengths too.

3 Likes

Slightly (just) off topic. Blender is starting to look interesting in terms of timeline handling with the introduction of OTIO integration. I can see a scenario similar to PyBox, where a round trip can be established between Flame timeline shot work and Blender Sequencer.

3 Likes