Client request: Change black and white striped shirt to black

So just had a client request after they viewed dailies from yesterday to change a black and white vertical striped shirt to ‘plain black’. Based on the single jpg I’ve been sent (:roll_eyes:) I’ve recommended Crok_Reshoot but thought I’d ask if anyone had any thoughts/ techniques that might make sense. The talent is doing kickups/ juggling a soccer ball/ match cut to cricket ball & bat so I imagine there will be plenty of movement of the folds and shadows in the shirt itself as well as a sprinkling of motion blurred arms etc moving in front. Being a sports shirt it’s that fairly shiny reflective surface. No idea of duration of the scene so I told them it ‘could’ be days. Agency has told the client it’s a no-go but they also don’t have time to reshoot & sometimes no-go doesn’t mean no . . .

1 Like

It’s a big call to make.

You have to factor in the work involved but also the potential results.

I made them reshoot when an on car rig failed to dampen the motion blur.
Could I have cleaned up all of the motion blur frames using the none blur? Yes maybe. Was it all over the faces of the people? You bet. And you just know everyone would have been super critical and picky.

They know that it was a massive mistake but they can also see that it is going to be a massive challenge to make something that was white look black!

I’m sure that we can all come up with some methodically for this but I think you are right to call reshoot.

2 Likes

Tell them you can make a cg one a la Steve Strange’s cape in the Marvel films. Quote it all out. Let them compare the cost. They will see the light.

3 Likes

Ha ha - I like it. Reshoot happening as we speak - now just have to paint out logos on the replacement shirt - a win!

1 Like

That’ll be one expensive wardrobe change!

Yeah thats either a full on camera + matchmove plus full person roto and cloth sim or a reshoot.

Also, don’t forget. They had a Pre Pro. The client and the production company went through casting, wardrobe, props, set dec, all of it. This is their problem to solve.

2 Likes

I have to agree with everyone else. It’s not your problem. As long as you present it in a positive light it’s ok to say no.

When it’s someone else’s problem, there is of course always the opportunity to swoop in and save the day. But, when you do, you better be damn sure you can deliver. If not, then try hard, be kind, say no.