Command Line Archiving

I’m trying out command line archiving. Seems pretty straightforward. Curious who’s been using it? What their thoughts are? Can it be used while working on another project? How much it slows down the box. Working on linux.

2 Likes

I’m a huge fan. At my previous staff gig, where we would often touch a bunch of jobs in a day and/or need a lot of framestore space RIGHT NOW, being able to fire up several background processes (from another machine, if need be) was a godsend.

Working from home I haven’t needed it as much, but I was just thinking how I kind of… miss it… ? Don’t ask, I am insane.

A while back someone wrote a little gui wrapper for it but then autodesk changed some stuff and it wasn’t updated and now it’s gone/broken. But this seems like something our new best friend Python would be good for, no?

In answer to your question, it CAN be used on other projects, but it will noticeably (though not unacceptably, in my opinion) slow you down.

Command line archiving automagically in the background is life changing.

Exactly. Perhaps we can get Fred interested. He never passes up a good python script.

Tom and Tom at Gunpowder set this up for a lot of people.

I actually started this very thing 2 weeks ago and I figured out how to ssh into every machine and run “flame_archive” command (in the /opt/Autodesk/io/bin") to list all the projects on the remote machine.

I’m using the python library “paramiko” and found this thread on stack overflow that helped me a lot:
python paramiko ssh - Stack Overflow

My next step was to make a gui with a list widget and be able to select by project and then launch “flame_archive” to archive to a mounted raid.

Of course, I got too busy to finish…but maybe during Thanksgiving break I’ll post what I have.

4 Likes

Wow. Sounds amazing. A GUI would make this fool proof. Command line just opens itself up for mistakes.

…anyone have a backdraft logo we can use as a splash screen?

2 Likes

Background Archive …… yes please !

Backdraft! I had forgotten about that. Wasn’t that the machine you could do a conform on?

1 Like

I got emailed a job posting from one of the big UK shops a few months ago and they were still listing knowledge of Backdraft as a nice-to-have. Producers and their spec sheets, amirite? I did run Backdraft on Octane, though, so I must be qualified to be in charge over at Framestore, right? LET’S GOOOO! :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

@kirk I don’t know what’s more awesome, the fact that you have that picture or that you were running X11 on your PowerBook Titanium rsh’d into an sgi when you did it.

1 Like

We just wanted to see if it would work!

I believe this was my 2nd trip to Montréal. And around the time that @panisset referred to said TiBook as a “nice toy.”*

*not meant disparagingly, he was quick to point out.

1 Like

Old school “blue gummy” Apple menu logo FTW. Backdraft, for a brief moment renamed to “discreet archiving utility” (since it was deemed not “product name worthy”). Backdraft was a completely separate code base, including a completely different UI toolkit which it shared with Riot (the film scanner / recorder app), I think the idea was that eventually Flame would adopt it, but that never happened. Eventually became “Conform aka Smoke with fewer buttons” when it was determined that maintaining a separate code base for a low volume product didn’t make any sense (a sensible decision IMO).

We were using Conform in anger around 2010, pointing it to 100K DPX files scanned on a Spirit to a Stornext SAN, having it conform in a few seconds felt like magic.

3 Likes

Slowly making progress

4 Likes