Command Line Archiving

@Ton @ENevills @john-geehreng ,

Hey guys…I finally got around to publishing this to Github. My 17 year old son had to help me…

So, when you pull and set up your venv (i.e. when PyCharm asks to make one) make sure you run pip like this:

pip install -r requirements.txt

The requirements.txt has all the dependencies I used.

Also, for the GUI…I use a utility I made based on some other open source class that will load a .ui file directly and instance that for the windows and widgets. It’s called autoLoadUi.py and that’s a whole other topic. That’s why there’s no setup code for the ui…just the slots and signal handlers.

So if you want to change the ui…you need to use Qt Designer to change the widgets. Then in the init function for the window widget, the command “autoloadUi(self)” will load the .ui file with the same name as the class. One day I’ll do a tutorial on this.

Hit me up if you have any questions! But frankly, I’ve forgotten how the ssh part of the code works, especially with the public keys and the ‘scp’ cli command part. It was a lot of googling and cut and paste from stackoverlflow.

8 Likes

Hi danny

Funny, I am doing the same at the moment.
i am using backburner to run the archive, it allows the user to log out.

I am still fighting with permission. Each job has is own group here.

I will take a look on yours.

Thx for sharing.

F

1 Like

Amazing! Thank you, Danny!

@lambertz

Oh you running the command line “flame_archive” via backburner? Does it work…what’s the permission problem you run into?

Archiving through backburner seems like a pretty good idea. After reading the above, I hacked this together this morning and it works for me but we don’t have groups to deal with. The paths and machine names are specific to our facility, but they should be pretty easy to find and replace.

logik_bbm_archiving.zip (22.0 KB)

Yes and it works. But I am still fighting to get backburning running with the good permission to open the project.
Flame_archive is not doing a lot of reports.
I will get you posted.
F

Hey Guys,

What’s the best way to get a list of current projects? I have a script that works well for us, but I’d like it to make it more “generic” so others can show it too. Right now it scans two directories (/opt/Autodesk/project and our job folder) and if a folder appears in both, it shows up in the project list. Instead, I’d like to automatically show all the projects for whatever version of Flame is open. Any advice would be appreciated. Here’s what I have so far:

Thanks!
John

1 Like

@tombox how do you all do this?

1 Like

I parse the output of: /opt/Autodesk/io/bin/flame_archives -l

Here is a little snippet: Get Local Flame Projects · GitHub

I missed that you wanted the version also, I also use a hook to get the current version of Flame at project launch and keep a database of project with version.

2 Likes

You should be able to parse the project.db file to get this information.

You can also use wiretap_print_tree or wiretap_get_children to get all of the local projects, but it won’t tell you which version of the software made the project.

1 Like

Great stuff John!!!

I like how integrated the flame look and it seems snappy and interactive!

1 Like

Thanks Danny!

It only looks like this because @MikeV is so generous with his code and his time.

I should have a new version soon that incorporates @ENevills code above and saves all all the settings from the previous session.

I think this is getting close if anyone wants to give it a shot.
I’ve fixed a few things an added a size estimate button.

bb_archiver_ui.zip (27.2 KB)

1 Like

I’ll give it a go. Dumb question . How does one launch it?

Ah. Accessible via the Flame Menu. Nice!!!

1 Like

wow !! this is very impressive. Congrats and infinite gratitude

1 Like

Many of my archives are 500gb - 1tb. Having a 300gb segment size option would be great.
Really fantastic work. Can’t wait to try it out.

1 Like

@john-geehreng . I’d like to suggest add the archive/local translation path option. For everyone like me that decided move on to non-cache workflow is essential to move proyects betweens servers with different mount points / paths.

The next version will have many more options including 300GB. I’m aiming to have it on the portal tomorrow. Just waiting on feedback from one more person.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that those options only come into play when restoring archives.