Core Tools of 2D Cleanup

I just watched the 'Beauty Techniques in Flame" Logik Academy video, and I thought @andymilkis did a great job of breaking down the core tools of 2D cleanup.
These get me through the vast majority of my work:

Painting a clean frame
Front Source offset
Blur (Infill / Median / Object Obliterator)
UV Warping

Are there any major cleanup techniques I missed?

What’s your go-to if the standbys don’t work?

-Ted

3 Likes

Are we talking beauty cleanup or just cleanup in general? I do very little beauty, but endless streams of everything else. My immediate go-to is stabilize-paint-unstabilize. Substitute any of the other processes for paint at any given time depending on what works best. I have my own custom batch tools for the stabilize and unstabilize, but sometimes I do motion vectors, either alone or in conjunction with my other tools.

3 Likes

Frequency separation! Being able to work separately on color (low pass) and detail (high pass) and then recombine is a wonderful thing

8 Likes

Cleanup in general.
I mentally file stab+unstab & motion vectors under tracking techniques as opposed to cleanup tools, but they’re great to keep in mind. All hail the Repo-Master!
What other processes would you substitute for Paint?

1 Like

Good one! Maybe Frequency Separation is usually a subsection of Paint, but could also be used with an offset?

Frequency separation, object obliteration, fluid morph and all the other tools mentioned, but in general I never do anything without stabilizing it first unless it’s a lock off shot and the subject area is not moving either, so I suppose I think of that as a cleanup tool.

1 Like

Maybe the same thing as front source offset – but one thing that has become indispensable for me, is using an Action 3D shape with a projection offset. Works great for removing tracking marks off of a screen.

I recently used a combo of UV warping the underside of a laptop, then using 3D Action shapes to remove stickers.

2 Likes

Well, I mean, you can use frequency separation any way you want. Any trick you can use on RGB footage can be used on your high and low passes. I do procedural stuff with it all the time, not just paint by any means. The main difference being that you’re able to separate color and detail. I also give full credit to @suzannemdyer and @Mburdick for opening my eyes to the wide and wonderful world of frequency separation. They slay, and changed my life for the better.

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing up 3D shapes!
What’s the advantage of using a 3D shape over other methods?
In the tutorial you linked, it seems it could have been just as easy to track in a plain surface.

Yes, I recently used frequency separation (blur, subtract) to be able to stabilise a very shaky background plate. which I had to composite as background of a car greenscreen shot. I was not able to find any good tracking points, but with frequency separation and some CC I got some details in the sky, which I could use to stabilise. Magic!

5 Likes

Actually, maybe this was the tutorial I was looking for:

It’s similar to offsetting a front source. Drag a 3d shape into Action, draw the gmask to select the object for removal, do a planar track, add a projection on the 3d shape, then shift the projection axis to offset the selection. Works great on removing any screen markers, and helps maintain reflections built into the screen. I use it a lot when I need to keep some of the built-in light shifts on a removal.

1 Like