Grade shader

Hi everyone!

I want to share with you a shader I created. It includes various tools for colorists and the ones who work with color processing. This demo tool has primary grading, excellent color balancing, color cross talk, selective color saturation and density controls, tone mapping and many more.

This is demo version, I am working on the updates. And I’ll share the video demonstration soon.

Please, try it. I hope you’ll enjoy!

PS. I also work on shaders for image processing like texture equalizer, detail enhancer, contrast and color boosters, film emulation, halation and other interesting tools. So many interesting stuff is still to come.
Grade_Demo_v1.0.2.zip (156.9 KB)

16 Likes

hey @mihran this sounds amazing, is there a demo or video to understand the workflow? thanks!

1 Like

I will give this a go on Monday. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hi TimC,
Thanks a lot.

Soon I will record videos and share it.

1 Like

@mihran This is on track to become a great color tool. In structure it seems to lean heavily on how color tools in Baselight work, which is the standard. Much of what is in here does exist, but is splattered over multiple shaders and at times dated and clunky UI, so consolidating all this in one place will be fantastic.

In the Tone tab you have Hue/Sat on HML basis, I would add contrast to that, which is hugely valuable. I also find that have a contrast/offset knob on an RGB basis (and maybe even CMY basis) is the fastest way of balancing shots, so if that fits in there, that would be great. The hue tab reminds me a bit of Mistika’s vector tool. Also very good.

One thing that may have to be coordinated with ADSK for this shader to be the go-to is panel mapping. It needs to work with my Tangent panel before I would trade Mastergrade for it, except as an add-on. I know, I’m asking a lot here, since these are all volunteer efforts. This is another one where the community is doing some of the lifting ADSK could have done. Separate discussion.

I would add a matte input to avoid having to turn everything into multi-node for selective grading and for it to be usable inside the Image node underneath selectives and in TL-FX.

Does it do any color-space transforms? Some other color tools stand out that they’re color space aware (such as Baselight’s Base Grade), which makes them cohesive in mixed material. Especially with Flames’d odd tag-only color pipeline.

Noted on the Texture Equalizer, another Baselight tool. You might take a look at some of the shaders I made last summer, which does include a 5 band Texture Equalizer and also a Vibrance adjustment. Might save you some and maybe just enhance that if needed to avoid duplicated efforts and overlapping shaders.

Very much looking forward to how this one is evolving. I know much work this is, especially at this scale, and then the flood of questions and requests. Very very much appreciated.

And if one can dream - Baselight 6 look dev tools haven taken a totally different approach and new color space. If some of this could be translated (as team effort) into Flame, that could give Flame color a whole new life.

This is very nice. I’ve been looking for a tool with Density and quick white balance (something I don’t know why Autodesk hasn’t done).